Question about brakes ..

Gsx31337

Hey, I have not posted on here in a wile, But i had a question about the brakes on my TJ. For starters ive always had problems with them, espeshaly with 4, 200lb guys in it. I just don't always feel safe breaking at highway speeds or even slower then that sometimes. I have to stomp on them pretty hard and it takes a second for them to really start to stop me. I got a 3 inch lift and am running 32-12.5 Good year Mt R's on them. I do have drums on the back which im sure is part of the problem. But its time to replace the pads and rotors, How much difference would a good after market set make with responsiveness and just getting her to a stop??
Any advice would be appriciated !
Bucky

Not much difference. I would bet that your rear brakes need adjusting to help out, they're likely not doing much.

Thats been a different problem, Ive had it into 4 break shops .. they all say the back breaks wont work because of the bigger tires .. they will tighten them up, they work "ok" for a couple days and then go back to normal. Like I can slam my foot down as hard as i can on ice and the back tires will just role.

its been a long term problem that i have almost given up on, Mostly because i don't have the money for a rear disk swap and have had so many people look at them with no success.

You should be able to stop 32's without any problems. It sounds like a completely different problem. Had any leaks? Has the brake shop checked the proportioning valve (puts smaller brake bias to the rear and more in the front)?
I have also found that cheap pads and shoes (autozone) don't quite give the braking power that OEM pads do.

Back