Pro Con

MerkL

New Distributor IN now.....

What are some of the pros and cons of the BFG MT and Goodyear MTr? One of the two will be my next choice, and I wanted to get y'alls opinions. Thanks.

All I know is that Peterson's and Offroad, rated the Goodyear MTR for all around performance, and outscored the BFG in all categories. Both are good tires, but I everyone raves about the Goodyears.

Dont forget to factor in the Truxux, Yokohama Geolanders, Cooper Discoverys, and all the rest. I am just not a great fan of either of your choices. tug

Well, I just got the MT/Rs a couple of weeks ago and they handle great on road so far. I've yet to have them off road, except for gravel roads. I did take a 300 mile road trip to go trout fishing in AR and they handled fine on the highway. (that's where the pic below was taken)

Drag Link Adjustment?

I guess it depends on the majority of use for the tire. I prefer TSL Swampers, Boggers and SX's for the trails, but none of them are good for everyday driving. The MTR's and BFG's work fine on the road but don't impress me on the trail. They pack up with mud. You should also look at the Maxxis, Yokohama, ProComp, and Baja Claw.

I got the goodyears they so far they are good on road and great off road

LGR, did your tires run small? I don't want to get 33's and get just a 31. I'm looking for something great on-road, b/c I have to drive it everyday, and only go offroad on weekends. Thanks for your input guys.

Here are the actual tire diameters for the Goodyear MT/Rs in the last column. Not that much of a difference. (from Tirerack.com)

30X9.5QR15 104Q C 50psi 29.5"

31X10.5QR15 109Q C 50psi 30.7"

32X11.5QR15 104Q C 50psi 31.5"

33X12.5QR15 108Q C 35psi 32.4"

35X12.5QR15 113Q C 34.4"

edit: after further review, it looks like all brands are a little smaller than the stated size. Go to tirerack.com, chose your tire, then choose the 'specs' option. Every brand I checked had a small size diffence between stated size and actual diameter.

They always do. I had some 35 Boggers mounted on 15x10 wheels that measure 33". The width of the wheel and the tire pressure have a lot to do with the measurements. The wider the wheel you have, the lower the overall height of the tire will be.
Interco's website has a table for tire sizes and what wheel size and pressure they measured them at.

My Parnelli Jones Dirt Grips are 36"x14.5"... and they measure exactly that. I think some companies are just different than others.

Liberty aftermarket wheel backspacing

How do I tell what size wheels I have. I bought it used, and haven't really thought about it until now. I don't personally like the look of a Jeep on balloons. The way mine sit now they're tucked mostly under the fender and flare.

BESTOP JEEP WRANGLER SOFT TOP FITS 97-02 SPICE

MerkL said:
What are some of the pros and cons of the BFG MT and Goodyear MTr? One of the two will be my next choice, and I wanted to get y'alls opinions. Thanks.
MerkL said:
I'm looking for something great on-road, b/c I have to drive it everyday, and only go offroad on weekends. Thanks for your input guys.
You're on the right track with narrowing it down to those two, but the BFG outshines the overpriced overrated MTR for your intended use and requirements.

The BFG will last 50K miles plus, so you'll definately be getting your moneys worth. The MTR on the other hand lasts on average 30K and I've seen them shot after 20K.

They're both decent offroad except the MTR doesn't like mud from what I've seen. The BFG outshines the MTR in mud but I believe the MTR would take the lead in the rocks.

The MTR was marketed at a time when the market was hungry for a new MT and hadn't had one for a few years. The price started high for this reason and hasn't come down due to the hyped following. That's why I believe it's overpriced and overrated.

Keep in mind that I'm running neither of these, so I'm not trying to recommend a tire because it's what I run, I'm trying to offer as unbiased an opinion as possible.

Thanks Bounty, that is exactly what I was looking for, unbiased opinions. I think I'll be going with the BFG b/c I play in more mud than rocks. Thanks guys for the responses.

mickey t baja claws best buy...had mine for a year and no signs of wear , perform great on and offroad. not bad on price either and not to small on the size.... 33's measure just under 33 :lol:

The MTR's dont ware small like you all think.35's are 35's.33's are regular 33's.MTR's are great if you are running rocks,dirt, and sand.I dont think they are that great in the mud.

The MTr was under my jeep for awhile. I tested them and was not really impressed. They did the typical belt shifting after about 7K miles, I have had this problem with alot of Goodyear tires. As for the BFG's I have nevr really liked them in NY clay mud, but they are long lasting on the road. If you where picking between the 2 I would say go with the BFG. If you are open to something different I would suggest the Kumho or my favorite the Geolander AT+2. Don't let the second fool you it will keep up with swampers, I've seen it first hand. Both are priced better then the 2 mentioned before. If you want something in the same price range then I would suggest the radial claw. Just my 2 cents

I have MTR's on my work truck, they ride nice, not too noisy, decent in mud and sand, but they seem to wear really really fast

Back