Powertrax no slip locker

derrelw

Hi all,
I have a 2000 TJ with a 4.0 and auto. trans. It is mostly used as an on road driver but I do use it to get into the mountains for mountain bilking, hiking, camping, xc skiing etc. I'm thinking about having a locker installed in the rear (Dana 44 limited slip) and was thinking about one of the Powertrax units or another auto locker. I have no interest in rock crawling but would love the extra traction. Does anyone have any feedback on these units. Desert Rat told me that the ARB air lockers are the only way to go but I'd rather not spend the $1500+ they want to install one. I'm hoping to find something that won't ruin my tires on the pavement or make my Jeep less stable on road.
Thanks,
Derrel

I run the no slip in my 2000 tj and the only time that I have problems with it is when I make a tight slow turn on pavement. It does not always release. This is partially from me having a standard transmission. The auto. will let it release easier. I have installed many of these into jeeps and everyone seems happy with them.

this is a stupid question but if you already have limited slip from the factory why put a lock right or a no slip in there? they are pretty close to each other no? also darrin do you have a dana 35 or 44 in your rig?

I got a D44 in my YJ with a limited slip rear... I got it from Randy's ring and pinion and I am really happy with it. No problems yet, not even around turns. Give Randy's a call and they can set you up for what your wheeling habbits are. They wont' screw you around or try to sell you something either. 1-800-347-1188 or www.ring-pinion.com

I was just looking at the powertraxx in my new summit that just came yesturday! I am looking for a locker but want something very streetable!

Derrelw, a friend of mine runs the powertrax and it performs great, very good road manners compared to a detroit or even a lockrite, and much quieter too. Any locker upgrade will be better than the factory trac lok, as they are prone to wear and wont fully lock up as the aforementioned units will. If you really want the traction, i would say go for it. There is also a good review on the powertrax at www.4x4wire.com

The no-slip is a good locker from what I've seen on the road and trail. Having said that, I've also seen limited slip diffs do great on the trails here in the Midwest. A buddy has LS in the front and rear and he does great, the LS keep all 4 wheels turning the majority of the time in low traction situations.

Keep that limited slip in the rear, add the lunchbox locker to the front. It's transparent onroad and will greatly compliment the LS rear when offroad.

I have the 44 in mine. The LS let go on the rocks on to many times for me. After running the lock right the Factory LS is a joke. I would suggest the upgrade to the no spin. It is much more road friendly and a lot quieter. If I have another old man stop me in a parking lot to tell me he thinks the noise coming from My truck is a tire coming off I am going to snap :twisted: We sell the no spin for $410 and have had many people go with them over the detroits. The Detroit soft locker does not work in reverse so once your into something, reverse is not an option. As for the front axle I would stick with the lock right, being that you do not have a disconnect axle it will work better for you on the road.

advice needed for new project

To install a lunchbox locker in his LS D44 will he have to also install an open carrier for the locker to fit into? Requiring the gears to be setup again and even more expense? Or will the lunchbox locker install into the LS carrier?

I still think a LS in the rear and a locker or LS in the front would be ideal for this jeepers type of wheelin and requested road manners.
derrelw said:
It is mostly used as an on road driver but I do use it to get into the mountains for mountain bilking, hiking, camping, xc skiing etc.
I'm hoping to find something that won't ruin my tires on the pavement or make my Jeep less stable on road.

Back