Possible XJ Owner

MerkL

cj wont start cont.

Hi, as most of you know, I already have a YJ, and I also have the Jeep bug bad. I'm really starting to envy XJ owners. I've looked them up on autotrader, and they seem to pretty inexpensive. I've thought about selling the YJ, and getting an XJ, but I would miss it too much. Anyway, my point is, what should I look for when purchasing an XJ. Like, certain years to avoid. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the 4.0L, and I like the two doors vs. four. Anything else I need to know? Thanks.

Well if price is an issue then this wont matter much, but stay 96 or older if you plan on lifting it due to a slightly larger wheel well and less venerability to driveline vibes.

The 2 doors have a shorter wheelbase and therefore would have a bit of an advantage on the trail.

You're right, you WILL regret selling your YJ. a feeling only cureable by purchasing another

I love my Cherokee, but the doors don't come off and the top is permanent.

Avoid years 84 through 86 with the V6 motors. They are way to sluggish for seroius offroad use. Some guys make half doors for their XJ's. I had put a sunroof in mine that was completly removeable. You can still get that open air feeling if your willing too modify it a little. Now that I think of it my XJ was the first four door vehicle I owned. I really didnt look at it as a family car, the rear doors were just another way to get the stuff in the back. Unless your stuck on getting two doors I dont think you would notice them very much.

The XJ won't be the major offroad vehicle, just a small play toy. I would only put 31 maybe 32's at the most. What size lift would I be looking at to clear those? I've decided I couldn't live without the YJ, so that option is definitely out of the question. Thanks for the inormation guys, I'm looking to find out anything I can about XJ's, so keep it coming.

TwistedCopper said:
The 2 doors have a shorter wheelbase and therefore would have a bit of an advantage on the trail.
Same wheelbase, basically the same chassis between the two types. Just the front doors of the 2-door are a lot longer than those on the 4door, giving the appearance of a shorter wheelbase.

Look for '92 to '96 to get the 4.0L HO and the ability to lift more with less chance of driveline vibes.

I'd recommend a 4.5" lift for both 31" and 32" tires. 32" is max for the 4.5" lift. You can probably get by with 3" and 31" tires with minor fender trimming.

Bounty__Hunter said:
Same wheelbase, basically the same chassis between the two types. Just the front doors of the 2-door are a lot longer than those on the 4door, giving the appearance of a shorter wheelbase.
:? I done diddnt no dat

If you shopping around, look for a jeep with a factory tow package, it may come with a Dana 44, and a trans cooler for the automatic transmision.
There are also two different transfer cases available, but someone else will have to explain that to you. I'm not that familiar with them.

As far as that, I've got a 5 speed, and love it. But they are hard to find it seems. It is also a four door, and use my back doors a lot, it's easier then opening the hatch in most cases. After growing up riding around in the back of my dads 2 door XJ, and it gets to be a pain, crawling in the back. I don't think I would ever get a 2 door XJ. Sorry guys...... with two doors.

thats my two cents

def. DONT get the 2 door, a family friend had one and he could not get rid of it. just a re-sale consideration not to mention the extra 2 doors really do come in handy.

That's funny, b/c I can't find anyone that wants to sell there two door XJ. I like the looks of the two doors, and I wouldn't mind having the inconvenience of a two door. I'm definitely getting a two door whenever I find one that is worth it...Another question for XJ owners. How much of a lift would I need to put 33's on?

To clear 33"s I think you need a 6" lift not totally sure. then you need a slip yolk eliminator a cv drive shaft, and I think a regearing of the axles.
which is worth it if its going to be a heavily off roaded vehicle but then your in to it for a lot of $$$$$$. And while your at it you might as well get heavier bumpers, a winch, and a set of rock rails. but that last part is my opinion.

Dude, you can do 33s easy with 4 inches and trimming...I am doing it with Trailmaster 4" lift, Bushwacker cutouts, and 4" bs on the wheels.

Ok to fit 33 without trimming you need a 6". Personally I think a 4" or 4.5" with 33"s looks kinda wierd plus you lose some articulation. I'd just stick with 31"s. If you are looking to trim a lot, go with the 2 door. You can trim a lot more than on the 4 door.

You could go with 33x10.50x15's and probably get away with not trimming on a 4.5" lift, but I thought this thing was not going to be an offroad toy hehehe It is incurable this Jeep thing!!!

Something else to consider is the 89-90 could have the terrible Bendix 9 ABS system which has NO normal brake booster and used only the ABS pump as boost, although they are warranted for lifetime, they are not the best choice for off road as they can fail. You can tear it all out and go back with straight hydraulic brakes for about $200 and forget about it.

Back