Possible 1978 Gmc Cheyenne 10 Donor (VIN: tkt248f723093)

nica89yj

Good Evening,

As all of the previous modifications ever done to my 89 YJ (4.2) this one has to go through Jeepz.com ok. Today I found a possible Transmission/transfer case/differential/leaf springs/Drive shaft donor. I’ve been wheeling 33x12.50 super swampers for over 3 years and want to go a little bigger, How does the 1978 Cheyenne 10 sound? Originally the pick up had the 292 I6 shooting 120 hp which now has been removed. It has a Manual 4 speed transmission (i think) and everything seems to be in fair condition. A 350 V8 could also be swapped in but I’m thinking of keeping the 258 since it still runs strong. Price on the parts is good and I really would love to get rid of my d35/d30 and run 8bolts.

Thanks for reading.

If the truck you're looking at has 8 bolts, then it's going to be a 3/4 ton, not 1/2 ton. It would lead me to believe that someone swapped those in there, so you'll have to do some investigating, to find out where they came from.

GM 4x4 1/2 ton models had 6 bolts. I've owned a few 70's GM trucks. There are a few anomalies out there; my '72 Big Block 402 Suburban was a C-10; it had all 3/4 ton suspension but still retained the 5 bolt pattern...it was officially called the "Heavy Half".

All assuming the truck is an original condition and equip truck.

the 258 is not worth it.

if it is a 4 speed, it's a sm 465, it is a good wheeling transmission, if you use your jeep to drive on the high way, there is no overdrive so your milage will suffer.

The T-case is most likely a np 208, and it is worthless. the low ratio in it is like 1.92-1 your 231 stock is I think 2.72-1

Regardless of the lug pattern, your front axle is going to be a D44. if you have a K30 (Cheyenne 30) SRW, then it would be a D60 (IDed with King pins), but as far as I know, a K30 was never Badged as a Cheyenne 10. the rear axle could be a number of things, if it is 6 lug, either 10 or 12 bolt, if it is a 8 lug, could be a SF14 bolt, FF14 bolt, or a Eaton 072

the stock springs are nothing special, they are probably 52" springs, 3" wide. you would have to remove a number of leafs to get hte spring rate comprabile to a jeep spring

If it had 5 lug axles, you got a 2wd truck

Personally I would pass unless it was free, then I would snag the transmission only.

So basically the transmission is the only part worth swapping? If axles are both 8 bolts (will post pics) aren’t those a significant strength gain over the d30d35 combo? Will not keep the 258, and will continue to shop around for a V8.

Also keep in mind that the Chevy front axles were passenger drop so you would have to use the Chevy t-case and if you keep the 258 you have to reroute the exhaust to clear the front driveshaft. Also Chevy fronts are low pinion so you add a bit of angle to the driveshaft.

Ur right about the exhaust, But now iam getting second thoughts of how much of an upgrade the switch would be. The same guy is selling a 350 v8 of a 73 suburban that i could mate with the 4 speed transmission of the cheyenne (3/4 ton) transfer, and diffs. Seems like alot of work...

Be aware that Chevrolet switched to it's "corporate" 10 bolt front axle somewhere in 77 so a 78 would most likely be a corporate 10 bolt and if it had 3/4 ton payload capability or swapped in axles it would only have the 8 lug hubs on a corporate 10 bolt. To get a Dana 44 open knuckle with any real guarantee from a 1/2 or 3/4 ton Chevy, it needs to be a 1973-1976 with no swapped parts. 1 tons would have the D60 in it, this is only regarding the half & 3/4 tons.

I did lots of research before selecting the donor truck for my CJ-7 front axle.

Rick

IIRC, 78 was the last year for the 44 front, 79 was the first year for the 10 bolt front. 76-77 was the first year for the D60 in the K30's depending on the build date.

you do not need a Chevy t-case, a dana 300 fron a CJ can be easily mated.

EDIT.. My mistake, 77 was the last year for the 44 front.

Back