Popping beneath jeep while turning

laneiac

RE: kumho mud tires

If I turn the wheel about half turn either way while rolling slow I get a bad pop or clunk coming from underneath the jeep. I did it while stopped and it did the same thing. Any ideas?

ball joints or tie rod? pitman arm? My friend had a similar prob. in his grand cherokee. It had a broken mount somewhere that was supposed to connect the axle to the chassi (i never actually saw it, so i can't describe it that well). If it's a tj, then i would check for this. Even if it's not a tj, i would reccommend jacking the front up, checking for steering free-play, and watching the steering, suspension, and front end componets while someone is behind the wheel steering. It sounds like something is slipping/sticking when there is alot of lateral force on the tires.

Low on gas

Its a YJ. And my steering has been real sloppy. I will jump under there and take a look. Ill update when I get a chance.

RE: Low on gas

Stearing box! But I would have to look at it, U-joint most likely won't pop when not moving, and they are more of a clicking sound! Pitman arm, if it is broken, you simply have no steering, and tie rod ends.... posibility I guess, grease the heck out of them, if it goes away for a short time, then that is it, but my first guess would be your steering box. Mine does it too, and has for quite a while, I am simply gonna upgrade to a red-neck ram steering. (it's hydrolic, but I am waiting to get my D44 in)

reneckjeepram-3.jpg

$450, about $150 more than a stock replacement.... money well worth it!

RE: Clutch or Transmission?

Check your front track bar, make sure both ends are very tight.

Have somebody crank the steering wheel back and forth to replicate the sound while you're watching closely underneath. Usually works for me.

Need to Sell!!!

Is it just one pop, or does it do it repetitvely as you stay turned (like a pop...pop...pop...etc). Does the steering wheel jump or do anything when it makes this sound?

Since it does it while stopped, I would have someone turn the wheel while your down there looking to see where it comes from.

RE: Avatar

The Redneck setup won't cause any trouble on the road. It's a hydraulic assist, you still have the mechanical link from the Steering wheel to the box to the axle. The ram just makes it easier to turn the wheels. It's not needed unless you are running large tires and/or doing alot of slow speed stuff. The junkyard has lots of cheap replacement steering boxes if yours is shot.

With the steering being sloppy before the popping started, I'd begin by jacking the front up and checking all linkages, joints, and any mounting brackets for the steering and suspension components.

Well I do know that I have to continuously retighten my front track bar as it always comes loose. I will check all the other stuff though.

RE: Some custom work for ya...

Yeah, I always tell myself to grab a new thing of loc tite, and of course, I always forget. You prefer red or blue? I have always used blue, but dont know if I am that fond of it.

red, blue, whatever it takes.

You don't have a set of cheap, noisy swaybar disco's under there do you? I do and they're noisy as heck.

Re: RE: airflow restrictor link

I have some JKS discos, never thought they made any noise. I can feel it "popping" as well when I turn the wheel.

RE: Re: RE: airflow restrictor link

Well I have this problem with my YJ and it only has one pop. I just replaced the front ujoints like a month ago and reconnected my tracbar so I'll probably check out the steering box next time I'm under it. Just thought I'd add my part.

LR

Just have someone turn the wheel, while you're down there in front of the Jeep listening. You should be able to track it down that way.

Re: RE: midnight oil

When I bought my JEEP I had the same prob. It was the front wheel bearings. The passenger side bearing came completely apart. The noise was the wheel assembly sliding back and forth. Is it your bearings?

RE: Re: RE: the eagles are going to jacksonville

I had a similar problem. It was the sway-bar connection. I purchased an aftermarket sway bar connection system and it fixed me right up.

Back