Pop or soda?

Saurian

RE: denver mechanics

So, I know that I call a carbonated beverage pop. It's how I grew up, and from an independant research project, it seems like it is predominately a northeast expression, particularly and predominately Michigan... But this is a board with members all over the nation and world, so maybe we can get a little feel for these things... I think this might have been done before, but my Mozilla will not let me do a search... So, here we go...

Its Coke (no matter if it is Coke, Sprite, Pepsi, etc.) or a cold drink pronounced "cole drank"

Never ever ever would anyone around here call it Pop or Soda, lest they be called a dang yankee. But seriously, I just call it by it's name be it Coke, Sprite, Pepsi etc. If i'm asking someone, I'll say, "hey, y'all want a Coke or something?" or maybe, "Hey, y'all want a soft drink or something?" The answer is usually, "Or somethin'".

I call it soda. My mom's side of the family is from the east (rhode Island), and that's what they all called it there. I guess that's where get it from.

When I was younger (like in elementry and middle school) it seemed like everyone here called it pop. Now all my friends and I call it soda. I barely ever hear anyone say pop anymore.

and soft drink, I thought that was only used on the menus in restaurants. That's the only time I hear that one used.

But, now most of the time I hear "hey, want a beer?"

Soda. Gotta get above, say, I-80 to hear it referred to as Pop.

I like calling it "Pop" OR "Soda" for fun.
BUT-
I agree with Jeeppicus...It's all "COKE". Even if it's Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, doesn't matter. It's ALL Coke! Even if you get some 10w30, and add some carbonation, it's STILL coke.

i live in canada.. we call it pop.. in general. who would ever say orange soda?? its orange pop - at least the generic brands are... other than that is like c-plus or orange crush... but yea.. you get orange pop, grape pop. i dunno.. :p its just how its always been and i'm on the west coast. must agree with wrangles thou... most of the time i now here hey wanna beer?

Jeeppicus said:
Its Coke (no matter if it is Coke, Sprite, Pepsi, etc.) or a cold drink pronounced "cole drank"

Same Here :D

When you make a convenience store stop it usually goes like this:

"Hey!, You want a Coke?"
"Yeah I'll take one"
Whada Ya want?'
"Grab me a Dew!...Bill said he wants a Pepper"
"K"

Re: RE: Pop or soda?

antsinmypants said:
i live in canada.. we call it pop.. in general. who would ever say orange soda?? its orange pop - at least the generic brands are... other than that is like c-plus or orange crush... but yea.. you get orange pop, grape pop. i dunno.. :p its just how its always been and i'm on the west coast. must agree with wrangles thou... most of the time i now here hey wanna beer?

The opposite here. I've heard people talk about orange soda or grape soda but you definately don't ever hear "pop". Orange 'pop' just sounds plain silly to me.

Re: RE: Pop or soda?

Soda, it even says "soda" on some cans. I would argue it further but I gave up drinking any soda or coffee, that and I dont have any more arguments.

SODA. <yeah thats a period

Jeeppicus wrote:

Same here also, except I have heard a few old timers and now they got me to sayin' it.....

"Sodie Water" (pronounced - "soe-dee" )

RE: Radio doesn’t work missing fuse

BTW, why mess with all of that anyway if you can have a cold glass a
Iced Tea? (pronounced-"eye-ss-teee")

Another wonderful southern tradtion. ya'll. :)

Re: RE: Vibes

It's been POP here in ohio, but over in PA (Pennsylvania, I probably butchered that spelling) it's called SODA "SO-DA", at least just inside the border. Hehe, "So-Da", that's funny. Hey I know what yer talkin' about anyway. I don't drink it any more, it's suds fer me now :D , I B 21 now. 12/09/04 I stayed sober for my B-Day, wife was a "prego" on hers so I had to be too :(

Coke if it is a cola. By name for most others (Root Beer, Orange soda) a few by brand (Sprite, Mountain Dew)

I heard someone on a commercial that was supposed to be in Boston call it Tonic. I never called it Tonic and I was born there. Maybe some do, but we didn't and I never heard it.

Now, you know, I heard on my other board that it is referred to frequently as "coke", even if it is another brand or type of pop... I never knew that, I thought it would just be a tossup between the two...

Man oh man, that WOULD explain the odd looks I got as I traveled around the country...

"I'd like a large pop" (clerk looks quizically) "Oh yeah, you call it soda down here" (clerk looks at me like I have two heads) "Umm... a Dr. Pepper?" "Aw, a Coke", she sez...

Now that transaction makes a wee bit more sense to me.

Stock Stereo from Toyota Camry

It's always been "coke" for me. No matter what the soft drink, it's a coke. Not Coke, just coke. "Let's run up to the store for a coke." Or, " Ya wanna coke with that burger, Bob?"

Although here lately, just to annoy Sunshine (one of my hobbies), I say "soder", like a friend of mine from Minnesota says. Drives Sunshine up the wall...... :lol:

RE: Re: RE: Diff Questions

south442 said:
antsinmypants said:

The opposite here. I've heard people talk about orange soda or grape soda but you definately don't ever hear "pop". Orange 'pop' just sounds plain silly to me.

I second that motion. Orane pop sounds wierd.

East coaster here and it's SODA. I never heard of POP until I got my current job and people moved out from Ohio and they called it POP. Now I've travelled more and realized it's called all sorts of things. lol I just call it soda though.

Lady

P.S. You'll frequently hear me tell the waiter this: "I wan't dark soda, gimme a coke, pepsi, whatever". or "I want a clear soda, give me a sprite, seven up, or that other crap (sierra mist)." LOL All the same to me.

in western NY, its pop... and that's it... Coke means Coca-cola. Soda means either baking soda or carbonated water. Or if someone refers to it as soda, you know they are not from the area. I hate using any of the names. I just hate getting into the arguments. If I ask for a drink, i'm specific.

Soda-pop.. that's just silly. Its like saying sofa-couch... or fuel-gas... or automobile-car

for those of you who call it general "coke"... 'roun these parts, coke is coca-cola... if someone went to a restaurant and said "yeah... i'll have aaaaaa... let me have aaaaa... umm.... yeah.. i'll go with a large coke" what will they get?

Back