please help

burton

i have an 83 cj7 that iv been restoring all year long. Today i got it out of my garage to start it for the first time. I put gas in and all that but it wouldnt catch. It turned over but it wouldnt spark around the distributor and coil area of the circuit. If anyone has had this problem or knows what to do the advice would be great. thanks[addsig]

no i havent it started up b4 i did the restoration but we havent touched the engine just the body.[addsig]

I don´t think I´ve ever taken one apart all the way and had it start up the first try. Always seem to leave somethink unplugged or overlooked. The wiring harness connectors might be a good place to start looking. They seem to either fall apart or you can´t get them apart and sometimes putting them back together again, a pin will slide out of the back of a connector. The book says to find a bolt that will fit into the sparkplug boot, then hold it a quarter of an inch away from a good ground and turn the motor over. Be careful to hold well away from the end of the cable or your bladder might loosen. It also says to look down the throat of the carburator, with the choke open and pump the throttler linkage a few times to see if the accelerator pump is passing fuel (which will let you know the float bowl is full).[addsig]

Back