Painting my wheels

laneiac

So I am going to paint my wheels. They are polished Ultra 654's or some darn number, but I want black wheels. Dont really feel like going through the process of ordering new wheels, and figured I could probably paint em up real well. Any tips? I was thinking some primer coats and then lots o black. Should I spray on some clear?

Anyone understand cams?

make sure you scuff them up first... brillo works well to scuff the coating. Otherwise your primer won't stick, though I think if you scuff, youcan just paint if you don't expose the bare metal. If they're aluminum make sure you have the proper primer.

From that thread:
TwistedCopper said:
mingez said:
Any ideas? I also toyed with the idea of rattle canning the ones I have, but I'm worried that they will just turn out like the butt. I don't want to ruin them needlessly. Has anyone done this?

AFTER-1.jpg

Yes, me. I bought some polyurethane wheel paint from VHT coatings and sprayed the factory 15x7 wheels for my YJ. They turned out great! I bought "satin black" instead of gloss or flat. Not too shiny, not too dull. Satin is more forgiving to the rookie painter than gloss would be :wink:

SP-183 is what I went with...

http://www.caswellplating.com/vht/vht_spec.htm
I'll look and see if I have a pic of just one of the wheels.

Clean them up real good with a pressure washer or some high powered hose. Rough them up. And blast away. I sandblasted mine by the way.

Alright, thanks for all the info folks. I am gonna hopefully get to it next week, I will try and take some updated pics of my jeep after it. Since I have never posted a pic of my jeep on here.

Back