Overheating

I have a 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 6 cylinder, that overheats very quickly when left idling. The electric fan doesn't seem to come on except when the a/c is turned on (is that normal?). I've had the radiator flushed, I've replaced the thermostat, taken the fan sensor out of the radiator and heated it in a pan of water - just as the water started to boil the sensor closed indicating that it was working correctly (but isn't that too hot a temperature to be cutting the fan on at?). I've shorted across the sensor and the fan runs. Uhhhh, let's see, what else has been done...hard to fill the radiator all the way - closed system. I understand there's a vent plug in the engine to let trapped air out somewhere but don't know where it is - can anyone tell me? Thanks in advance.

that definately sounds like a fan problem to me. When you are driving, air is being forced into the radiator, but at standstill, the fan should be drawing it in, but isn't, causing you to overheat. Check your wiring on the fan.

good luck
terry

i had the plastic jug system on mine and i removed that crap. you can get a 3 row gdi radiator from radiators.com for a reasonable price. they will put it on your doorstep the next day. you need to order the radiator for a 1995 to get the one with the conventional radiator cap. this requires a slight mod but its all over the web. its the best way to cure the overheat problems on the xj. i did this to mine and no longer need the mechanical fan. the electric keeps it cool enough so i removed the mechanical. i dont have a/c anymore so this option is viable for me. if you a/c works by all means leave the mechanical fan.
[addsig]

I just installed a GDI 3 core in my XJ and it cured my overheating problem. You can get them through AutoZone now. The company has changed thier name to Trans Go Industries, but the AutoZone guys should know what you're talking about when you ask for the GDI. Mine was $216.00 out the door. Cosidering the 1 core factory replacement is around $185.00, you'd be better off getting the GDI.[addsig]

Back