Overdrive Rattle

JMSeiver

I just bought a new 2004 Wrangler 4 cylinder with 5 speed manual transmission. I had new wheels, tires, 2" lift, front/rear tubular bumpers, and nerf bars installed by 4 Wheel Parts (they did an excellant job BTY)! When I put my Jeep into 5th (overdrive) at speeds > 50 MPH, I hear a substantial, constant rattling sound, coming from the front of the vehicle that increases with my speed. It sounds the same as when you let off the gas at high speeds yet leaving the clutch engaged. I do not know if this is normal or if the aftermarket upgrades has maybe changed something mechanical. Any ideas?

Thanks!

what kind of sound do you get when you let off the gas at high speeds with the clutch engaged? the only thing i can think of is the motor itself, and there shouldn't be a rattle ever

When I let off the gas with the clutch engaged, I get a shimmery, metallic sound - sounds to me like clutch linkage vibrating. It is not coming from the engine. If I run it to 55 in fourth gear, it starts to make this sound as well, just not as pronounced. Thanks for your reply! I will take it to the dealer and see what they say. I wish I could trust them more!

So by taking it to 55 in 4th gear, we should assume that it's speed related, not RPMs. I would get those wheels and brakes checked out. Also, wouldn't hurt to check your differential fluid and change your engine oil/filter. The dealer will probably not mess with it since you've modified it. Good luck though.

C

if you shift into 5th and the rpms go down, does it lower with it?

Yes, the lower the RPMs, the lower the vibration. It sounds like the noise the clutch mechanism makes when it is disengaged from 3rd gear and the Jeep is slowing down (like during a downshift manuever). Let me add that the sound cannot be heard if there is a lot traffic around me on the freeway.

i'm not aware of a noise that the clutch makes when disengaging..... is this noise just the engine spooling down with the transmission?

Back