ORV Permit Nightmare

Saurian

RE: Brand new Boggers 39.5 x 18 x 15

So, even though here in Michigan, you can drive a vehicle on our roads regardless of condition, or mechanical ability (no inspections of ANY kind, as we went over in chat last night), you need a state ORV sticker to be on county, state, or federal land and 4X4... As it is now January, I figure that it will be prudent to get a 2005 ORV Permit (my first one ever). Here's my little saga...

Go to Madison Heights City Hall, to the office of the City Clerk, to inquire of where I would go to get said permit. She suggests...

Madison Heights Department of Public Services, where I am then told that I will need to go to the...

Michigan Secretary of State, where after standing in line for 30 minutes, I am told that they don't do that here, but if I go to the... they will be sure to have it. ... being my local, friendly neighborhood...

Jeep Dealership... That's right, Birmingham Chrysler Jeep, where upon arriving at their lovely facility, they would be more than willing to sell me a brand new Grand Cherokee. ORV stickers, however, they cannot help me with, so they suggest I go to...

Sports Authority... But alack, they cannot print them there... I almost give up, but heading home, I decide to drop into...

Dunham's Discount Sports, and would you know it, they can print up Michigan DNR (department of natural resources) ORV stickers... I am triumphant, and head home. Upon affixing it to my Jeep, I find that I have just purchased a brand new 2004 ORV Sticker. Because, I find out...

The Michigan Department of Natural Resources begins it's new year in April... So, come April, the permit I just bought expires, and I have to get a new one. Shoulda gone up north... Every party store up there sells hunting licences, and ORV stickers, good luck trying to find it in the City...

I just cannot believe my Secretary of State (our version of probably some of your DMV) would tell me to go to a Jeep dealership... That was messed up...

RE: Antone lose their JEEP?

Im in the Ann Arbor area try Kmart, Walmart, Meijers they all sell hunting lic and orv perms. However they are only good for state orv parks like silver lake or the mounds. Its a funky set up as far as were we can and can not wheel legally. The best place I Know to go is around Grayling on the military trails. They do training up there blazing trails with tanks and humvs. Lots of great wheeling to be had.

I can't believe you have to pay to drive on a dirt road? What the heck does the money go too? Improving the roads? LOL I mean come on. This is government getting out of hand if you ask me. Unless you don't have to pay to hunt or fish on public lands. In florida, the people that buy hunting and fishing licenses pay for the dirt roads. The game and fish will actually go out and fix some places that are extremely rutted out, I dont care for this myself, as that is why I bought a 4x4. But we have some serious rednecks down here and they will rutt out a trail so only the biggest bad boys can get in there.

Back