Ordered my Lift Kit.....May need to buy a new doghouse

I went and done it.....ordered a BDS (?) 2 1/2" lift for my YJ! I may be sleeping in the doghouse for a while once Sunshine finds out about it.....she's not real observant, though, so I figure I'll just get it put on and not say a word..... :) She knows I'm getting new tires, and those are 31's, so she'll just think the tires made it taller!

So, anyway, I'm getting it for $650 installed....is that a good price or not? I'm not up on the latest prices for stuff. While I was at the Jeep toy store, I also bought a flat black lightbar with 4 lights that mounts to the windshield frame for $100.....the lights are some off-brand, I think, but at least I can replace them as they fall apart with some real lights later on.

I know this probably goes in the tech forums, but there is no hardware with the lightbar, and the guy said to use "molly screws" to mount it. They're like drywall anchors, only for sheetmetal. Problem is, I can't seem to find them anywhere. I was wondering if it would be prudent to drill through both walls of the windshield frame and run a bolt clear through to the inside, and put a nut and washer on the other end. Any suggestions, comments? Bad idea, or good?

Lookin for a nice set of rockers?

as for your lightbar install....sorry i'm no help, i'm not sure if drilling through is a bad idea or not. but i got to thinking, if you're willing to drill a hole clear through your jeep....you could probably do the lift yourself too. hehe, just a little observation, i mean if they're not charging you a lot for install then heck go ahead and do it, but i think working on the jeep is half the fun.

Well, for one, I'm not all the mechanically inclined, and two, I've got a bad back that makes it really hard to do stuff like that.....besides, those guys down at the Jeep shop need to feed their kids and put more mods on their Jeeps, so why not help them out in the process? :)

A molly anchor uses a plastic backing to expand in the hole. A sheet metal type uses a metal backer and supports the metal between the attached part and the window frame, making a stronger attach point. look for Grangers, industrial supply or any fastener engineering place and they will have what your looking for.
I would discourage you from drilling through and placing a bolt through since the lateral movment of the light bar along with the compounded height of the light bar will slowly oblong the holes since sheetmetal doesnt have much strength purpendicular along it's surface.

Great. That's the advice I was hoping for. There is a place in Wichita called HUC that sells all kinds of fasteners, so I'll give them a try. I know there are a few more there, somewhere, just a matter of finding them. Thanks for the advice, I wasn't real keen on drilling a hole through both sides anyway.....

EDIT: BTW, love that new pic!! Where is that, Moab?

Back