old jeep

dbr5010

i have a chance to buy a 79cj that has been sitting along time a big fix up i can do alot of the fix up but not all of it should i get it

Well, it's hard to know if you should get it or not.

What's the Jeep like? Is it what you want?

HAHA sparky!

If it is free, get it, you can always part it out for more $$ than it is worth together. P.S. I would be interested in a lto of parts!

It depends on what you want it for. If it is free then you probably dont want it....feel free to forward the guys number to me and I will direct him on how to get rid of it. :)

:: flexes fingers ::

Here's my take on the subject... I'm guessing at that age, there's a lot of fixer-upping to be done, so hopefully, the price is not unreasonable for the condition that it is in... Based on that, if that's the case, and you can afford to buy it, I would get it. You already mentioned that you will be able to do the majority of work on it, so I have to figure that if the above two conditions are met, any work that you do to it will therefore increase it's selling value, so if you decide you are sick and tired of it in the future, not only are you not taking a loss, but it would be a fun project :D

Second part of the matter is how badly you want it... Based on your post, I'm seeing an interest in it, or you wouldn't have posted it. As far as capabilities and such go, well, from my observations of CJ in their natural habitat, they sure don't make them like they used to. It was a CJ that pulled me out of the stuck in my sig, and that was one hell of a stuck... Powerful and well-designed Jeep yes, plus they look awesome when restored, in my humble opinion (and this is coming from someone who wants a YJ)...

On a side note, Jeep like that do not come by any day. I saw my brother's Grand Waggy sitting in a little lot in my City, and knew that I, or he, or someone had to jump on it, because it wasn't gonna sit there with a low price tag for long... Based on the fact that it was a Michigan Jeep with little rust, and the body and interior were not only all original, but in pristine condition, the transmission could have been made of cardboard, and the engine of lollipops, I didn't care, anything that is broken, or not working, can always be fixed, either by knowledge, time, patience, help of fellow Jeepers, or if all else fails, vast sums of money :lol:... As it turned out, the original engine was indeed happy, and this beastly Jeep is now his daily driver...

At any rate, there's some things to look at, make the decision that will make YOU happy :)

(and sparky, good to see a man of such strong opinion) :lol: :wink:

Back