Oh Well, the six banger that has 115,000 miles is knocking.

joejeepny

My six banger started knocking last week at paragon. When its warm it doesnt knock as much as when its cold. It looks like the 115,000 miles has gotten to her. Does anyone know a good reliable crate motor company that they have experience with. It seems a rebuilt will run about $1300.00. I asked a local shop about a rebuild and they said $1800.00 installed. $350.00 to install if I get my own. Its a 1993 wrangler 4.0. I would love to get a 4.5 stroker but does anyone know if it will pass emissions. The truck isnt that rusty so I guess I should put a good motor in it. Then again I could put a low milage used engine and save the money to spend on the rubi. I always have such trouble with these decisions.

why replace it? i would diagnose further to fingd where te knock is coming from? you can probably do the work yourself for a couple hundred. May only be a lifter that needs work.

Ya, I would just find out what it is, then go from there. It's probably not anything real serious. Mine knocks like crazy (due to poor fuel, lifters, bent rods, and just about everything else that causes a knock) and it still is doing just fine. I'm not going to replace the engine, or fix it, until it dies. If you lived closer, I would buy your engine from you!!

id get it looked at, dont ever buy from jasper if you buy rebuilt, i just got one and its only got 2500 on it and its already doin strange shit lik emaking clicking noises, im thinking it might be feul injectors but it didnt do it before i got it, anyway get it looked at, 115 isnt that bad and if you can get another 20k outa it before replacing it, its worth the few hundred, my old four cylinder had 140 before i replaced it with another

put some thick A$$ oil in it.... See ya soon :)

thick oil quieted down things a little. The noise is right at the bottom of the block. Its definitly play in the main jornals and its more than one. I dont think its worth pulling the crank from the bottom and replacing the bearings and turning the crank. Alot of work to save a worn engine. Its seems about the same price to rebuild the one I have local or to buy a crate motor. I dont trust engine rebuilders here in the metro area. Labor is to expensive and no one will warranty anything. They just want to grab the money and never see you again. Or there to busy and you wont get your motor back for weeks. Quadratec had about the lowest price and a good warranty. Hey WHITE. I hope she can last another trip out this sunday.

Get the Castrol GTX High Mileage motor oil and put it in. Also, spend the extra $1.19 and get the Extra Guard Fram filter. I have over 165K miles on my tired old 2.5L and it knocks and lacks power and cylinder 3 has blow-by, but when I put in the high-mileage oil... it put some pep back in the skinny pedal. Seriously. Before spending $1500, try spending $15 and do this oil change. Drive for 2 weeks and see. Thick oil (20W-50) will help, but the high mileage stuff is butter. Trust me.

Corey

Help spending money!!!

Just to warn you about replacement crate motors, check the timing. my boss has the same truck as White does, 88 chevy 4.3 v6 and had 250,000+ miles and we put in a replacement motor, the timeing was so off! like retarded 15 degree's or something.

Why go crate motor? Why not just get a motor from the junkyard and pay about half of the crate motor cost. Just make sure they give you at least a 90 day warranty...most will.

The company that is advertised in Quadratec is ATK engines. Make sure that you look around the web good for people who have experience from them. I have read from one extreme to the other about this company, and a lot of the bad had to do with them not honoring their warranty. If you do go with a crate engine, then you have to worry about the company actually honoring their warranty... Just something to think about.

If I can find a Low milage used motor I might just do that. Spotted two wranglers doing drive buys at the junk yards last night. Gotta call and see. I want to see the engine in the truck with the spedo intact. Collins bros has rebuilts for cheap. Anyone trust them. Does jeep have remanufactures. Anyone got a motor they want to sell. 50k miles or less

In the mean time I will check out that oil. Oh. Just for an interesting note. It passed emissions inspection last night. I had them change the oil right before because they put it on a dyno and beat on it in NY.

one point i'd like to make.. my engine has knocked since I bought it (130,000 on it at the time) I've put about 10,000 on it since then and it has not changed at all. More than likely it will still go to over 200,000 without a problem. many engines develop a knock of some sort over time. That doesn't mean it is going to die anytime soon. I'd run it till it gets real loud before thinkign of replacement. If you can only hear it when sitting still, don't even give it another thought...

currupt4130 said:
id get it looked at, dont ever buy from jasper if you buy rebuilt, i just got one and its only got 2500 on it and its already doin strange shit lik emaking clicking noises, im thinking it might be feul injectors but it didnt do it before i got it, anyway get it looked at, 115 isnt that bad and if you can get another 20k outa it before replacing it, its worth the few hundred, my old four cylinder had 140 before i replaced it with another

I had a Jasper in my work bucket truck (ford big block). It started having problems about 4 months after it was put in. Sounded like a meat grinder with a roll of quarters in it. They tried fixing it twice to no avail, so on the third trip in they dropped in another engine. That one was three years old and running strong and quiet when I got a new truck this past year.

My point is that with rebuilt engines, any of them can have problems, but Jasper stood behind that one and will probably fix yours too.

MJ info

Its been quietly knocking for a long time. Its now getting loud. I am know in engine conservation mode. Keep the revs low and dont rev it at every light to see if its still doing it.

GoOd ByE for now friends.

Hey, I had a knock. It wasn't much when it started. I had recently rebuilt the head, lifters, pushrods, rockers, etc. I figured it was a con rod bearing, and that I'd wait for it to get worse. I tried better oil, various additives, etc. I finally pulled the valve cover to check the lifters. One was bad. When I pulled the head, I found that the lifter had been chewed down about 1/4 inch and the cam had been rounded off. The engine is now at the machine shop for a full rebuild. I should have it back in a few days.

My advice... Check out those knocks. I had low oil pressure, blow-by, etc. and didn't take it seriously. I would just tweak it a little here and there. I guess it finally all added up.

Back