Off-Roading On-Road

Special_K

As hurricane Ivan moved inland, the remnants of the storm inevitably hit Atlanta and wreaked havoc on the streets and power (I'm sitting in a black out now using battery back-up to power my 'puter & modem).

Anyhoo, I'm driving down Lenox Rd. in Atlanta and come to a section of road that was completely washed out. The water was about 3-4 feet deep and it was that depth for probably 100-200 feet. No police or authorities were there so some locals were out warning oncoming cars not to try it (several already had tried it and got flooded out). Anyway, having a 5" of lift, Line-X, etc. I was REEEALY tempted to take it....but after pondering it, walking into the water to guage the depth, and hearing that a cherry-picker attempted it and had to abort, I chickened out.

The water would have come up to about the bottom of the front seats (if it came in quick enough) and while I don't think it wouldn't have quite made it to the air intake, I thought it was a little too close for comfort. I wasn't thinking about it then, but now it occurs to me that it might have flooded my amp under the rear seat (it's easily movable, but I wasn't even thinking about it...whew).

Amp aside, do you think my Jeep would have made it or did I make the right call? Should I go back and try it right now? hehehehe

Now, if I had 35's...... :twisted:

Well, I bet it would've made it, but you still made the right choice. Taking a river is one thing, but you have people, authorities, and traffic to deal with. Good form, you didn't chicken out, you were responsible.

i agree with mingez.... that's not chicken.. that's smart..

even though the challenge can be fun... there's a lot more than just the air intake you have to worry about

If I were you I would have gone for it... but my jeep has made it through water that deep before, and my amp is already toast from a midnight downpoar with no top on.

I think your jeep could have made it but you would be sacrificing the amp if the water got in. Then again the back seat sits up another 4 inches higher then the rest of the tub... I guess we will never know.

Oh and if you decide to go tackle it, get some pics!

Traxxas Nitro R/C

You definitely made the right decision (as any swift-water rescue person will tell you). If it's a water crossing on a trail, that's one thing. But floodwaters?!?!? You made the right call, especially if there was current involved - if that was the case, your amp may have been the least of your worries. My 2cts.

mud

BAH, you should have called me. I would have been behind you with 31s and 2" lift. and we could have strapped together just to recover. I live 10 min from Lenox.

If the water was moving then you definately made the right choice. If it was just standing water then I would have gone for it. No shame in not trying though. If there is that much doubt then you probably shouldn't.

L33TJ33P: Good point. Well maybe not on taking on the water with 31s and 2" lift, but since we now live barely 10 mins apart (and quite frankly, weren't that far apart when I lived in Alpahretta), it's a shame we haven't connected yet and gone trailing or something. I'll take more responsibility for that as I've been very busy and preoccupied as of late (i.e. the past couple of years, actually) and haven't done much trailing at all....but that's hopefully beginning to change. PM me your number and I'll do the same...we should connect sometime. :)

ALL: Thanks. In retrospect, I agree that did make the right decision. The challenge would have been to fun but there was a little too much risk for me...at least for right now. The last thing I want right now is needless additional drama and expense.

Whats wrong with crossing something with a current? I crossed a small river (or Large stream) numerous times in upstate NY with my jeep when it was stock. The river bed was all rocky and the actuall crossing was probably 50-60 feet.

Whats wrong with crossing something with a current? I crossed a small river (or Large stream) numerous times in upstate NY with my jeep when it was stock. The river bed was all rocky and the actuall crossing was probably 50-60 feet.
Apples and oranges. You crossed a river bed - a natural feature, probably been there forever. What we're talkin' here is floodwaters on a man-made road - a road designed and built with stringent standards as to moisture content of the material. Now it's flooded. Wet sub-grade+ wet base+ wet asphalt + a little current "could" = bye-bye road, bye-bye Jeep, bye-bye cruel world! Remeber the old butter commercial - "It's not nice to fool with mother nature!"

image-missing.png

just more 2-bits,
mud

wise choice.. its one thing to cross a stream, another to cross a flooded road, you never know what you'll run over on that flooded road either that might take out your jeep.

i think 9 inches of lift and 35's could have pulled it off easy, but i agree you made the right decision. the only reason i can think of is if someone is in need of immediate help, somewhere with no current, say sitting on top of their car in their driveway with water up to the windows. then it might be justifiable if there wasnt anyone else to help. again, good call, it sounds fun but whats fun about hydrolock? maybe you coulda hit a pothole

Yeah, well I've had to sit in my electricity-less house for days after a hurricane before. The road that leads to my neighborhood floods in a heavy thunderstorm, it stays covered for days after a hurricane. One of the tasks I EXPECT from my Jeep in hurricane season is to get me across the many frequently flooded country roads around here and to climb over all the downed trees. If I run out of Cheetos.....I'll be damned if I'm letting a little death get between me and the grocery store.

Speaking of tempting mother nature. One of the local residents was complaining about us "risking electrocution". It was kind of funny in a twisted sort of way I guess. It looked like a scene from "Final Destination": Lightening overhead, a set of 5 or so power lines running above the water, and downed trees/power lines every mile or so up to that point, then...me and one or two other geniuses wading through the knee-high to waste-high water. :? Saddest part is, I've done worse.

Back