Now For The Next Mod

TexasRed

Ok I got my 33s and my new 10 in. wheels on and im satisfied with that. Has anyone done an Offenhauser 4bbl intake with the Edelbrock carb. My Jeep is an 87 with the 258 6cyl. A buddy down the street has done it but hes got an older CJ and I dont think its got all the electronic goodies I got. I seen it in a 4wd catalog but im wondering what all you have to do to vacume lines or linkages and stuff like that. If anyones done this or if there is a write up on it let me know please. I need to survey this application before I dump 500.00 for a carb and intake. Thanks in advance.

The Offy is a decent intake, I prefer Clifford but the Offy will do the job. That's a BIG negative on the Ebrock carb, though. Besides being a piece of junk, that 600 is just too big for a factory 258. Stick with a Motorcraft or Holley 2barrel on a Mr.Gasket 2to4 adapter, I've had the Holley 390cfm 4barrel perform really well on this intake too. A big four is just too much, the cylinder head ports and conservative valve timing just can't use that much air/fuel. You'll lose alot of response at initial throttle tip-in and it will likely have a nasty bog off the line that just can't be tuned out. A 600cfm can be run, but it takes alot of engine mods to really take advantage of it, you can make more power with something smaller.
Have you put on a header and good exhaust yet? More gains will be made here, and the intake/carb will show more benefit if used along with a free flowing exhaust.

Stick with the orginal intake and a Motorcraft 2150 from a ford pinto and use the money you were going to spend on the high dollar fule delivery hardwear on something more needed! tug

Ok so let me hear this correctly. Keep the stock intake, ok Ill do that, Now for the carb. Ill get the Motorcraft but what all am I gonna have to do to install it. Like vacume lines and linkages. Making a linkage is not a prob but what about those lines and my computer if my year has one.

Sorry, I ASSumed that if you were asking about putting an aftermarket performance intake and big four barrel carb on an inline six cylinder engine.....you were planning on hopping it up a bit.
If your just looking for a change from the crappy factory carb, then yes, one of the small to mid-size 2150s on the factory intake will feed your engine just fine.

I called Auto Zone and asked them about a motorcraft 2150 and they asked me what vehicle, I told them an older Pinto like 74 or 75 then he asked me what size motor 1. something or 1. something else. he gave me a Holley part number of 5200. A new one only 124.52 not bad. What I need to know is this the right one. Or what year and model vehicles came with the 2150 like I need. Thanks and im not stupid but I want to do this right the first time.

high steering

The 2150s came in several CFM ratings. They are identified by a number, I THINK this number corresponds to the venturi size. It is stamped on the float bowl if remember correctly.

.98 = 190cfm
1.01 = 240cfm
1.02 = 245cfm
1.08 = 287cfm
1.14 = 300cfm
1.21 = 351cfm
1.23 = 356cfm
1.33 = 424cfm

The 1.08 will feed a factory 258 up to about 4500 rpm, then it starts to cost power. A factory 258 really has no business turning over 4500, so most people are happy with this model. The 1.21 is a better choice and will support a couple of needed future engine performance mods should you decide to go down that road.

brake woes

Well originally I was looking to change the intake and carb. I was just going by what one guy said. But on here I got alot of other responses that make better sense. I am looking to get rid of the pile o s--t stock carb, it sucks. So If I go with the 1.21 351 cfm what year model or make of vehicle do I get it for. I want to buy a brand new one at like Auto Zone or Orielly.

Ok im hoping noone has read this yet. Im still needing to know the year and make of a carb I can use. BTTT.

dying rollbar covers

Can't you just tell them what model # you want without telling them a specific car? I know my autozone isn't the most user friendly atmosphere for someone mechanically challeneged, like myself, but if I go in there with a part # or model # they can usually help me out. Just tell them what CFM or venturi size you want, if they ask you what vehicle, tell them what you're doing and they will find the one you want and not the one the computer says you need.

I don't know specific applications for the different models. I would try a late 70s Ford F-150 with the 351M V8 or a 70s Mustang II with a V8. I get most of my carbs from two places, the junkyard or a buddy that rebuilds them on the side for extra money. If all else fails, take a trip to the junkyard and walk around poking under hoods until you find one, then either buy and rebuild it or go order a new one for that vehicle. Sorry, I can't be anymore help on that one.

Back