2 225
4 150
8 100
10 60
12 40
14 25
16 15
8000(3630) 8.01(2.44) 435 amps

OK so my new warn M8000 just got here. So if this can draw 435, why wont the wires melt ?

White said:
OK so my new warn M8000 just got here. So if this can draw 435, why wont the wires melt ?
I think they would, given a long enough draw at maximum amperage. I don't think it's realistic that the winch would be used long enough with 0/2 cable to melt them.

What's bigger cable than 0, is it 00 and so on?

Pronounced "ought". One "ought" (1/0), Two "ought" (2/0), etc.

To safely allow the proper wire size for a winch that draws 435 Amps, you would have to a really big wire. There aren't many people out there who would do that because that stuff is big and expensive. Doesn't Warn have a recommendation in the manual or installation instructions?
To figure out what size wire you want to use, consider the length of the wire run. Keep it as short as possible and you will have much less Voltage loss. Us the calculator at the bottom of this webpage to decide:

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

Generally when you wire a winch (which I have Never Done) the wire is simply a battery cable, a thick stand wire with thick sheathing, the specs you got there are for audio wire which is a thin strand wire with thin sheathing to make it plyable and bendable. Two different applications.

I will never forget the time a kid came into the install bay to have a amp put in and he said he had all the wires, Open up a plastic shopping bag (which is never good) and inside were RCA plugs from a old school Nintendo, some 22 ga head phone wire and Romex for the power supply. Dumb A$$

I'll never forget the time I was winching a broken-axle jeep up a very long hill. Another jeeper pulled up next to me and we used two winches for an easier pull. Smoke began bellowing out from under his hood and we quickly shut the winches down. I popped his hood and he had powered the 8K winch with 10 or 12ga wire, and looped all the excess wire and tied it to the radiator support

I'll never forget the time I was winching a broken-axle jeep up a very long hill. Another jeeper pulled up next to me and we used two winches for an easier pull. Smoke began bellowing out from under his hood and we quickly shut the winches down. I popped his hood and he had powered the 8K winch with 10 or 12ga wire, and looped all the excess wire and tied it to the radiator support :shock: All the insulation melted and the coiled wire was smoking. He said somebody told him all he needed was 12ga. wire. Funny thing was the ground wire was 2ga or 1/0ga. Glad we caught it in time.

The cables will burn in two if you use it hard enough. I trashed my t-case and had to winch my Jeep up a 4 foot vertical ledge with the engine running only to charge the battery. In other words...dead weight. It did it but right when I got to the top, I saw smoke and it had burned the cable almost in two where it was crimped at the connector.
Remember that a DC motor only draws what power is required of it. If you never max out the winch then it doesn't draw all 435 amps.

Ok, Guess Iam one of the "worst case " kinda guys.
This is all rewired with the control box inside the cab. This way the relays won't get damaged. Used approx 31' of 1/0 wire. The spool was 50' @ 5 per foot = not cool :( ... ( If you wanna play you gotta pay )
Tested it dead weight up a extreme hill. Nothing became hot or even warm.
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287595831

Back