Newbie- 4WD help

johntuba

I've had my '98 Wrangler since January and have not yet had the need to use the 4WD. I've gotten help on how to engage. No reason to distrust my source, just want to check him for accuracy. Please inform-standard transmission. Also after the 4WD is engaged, any trick to disengaging?[addsig]

a trick to get mine in/out of 4wd is to stop, put it in neutral, reverse, neutral, then back into drive. it usually kicks it in that way. if you don't wanna stop to do all that, it'll usually take a little longer, but letting off the gas while the car is still in gear helps mine engage/disengage while still moving.[addsig]

What exactly is your question ?
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Man the short shifter is what it is all about. I had not even bought my Jeep untill I had it on a steep slippery hill and was all up in the transfer case. Go out get into your Jeep find a good patch of earth preferred wet rocky slippery earth. Stop your jeep put her out of gear, take a deep breath, put her in 4WD Put into gear, let of clutch and have fun. Get tired or run out of time. Stop the Jeep out of gear, put the shifter back into 2WD, then I alway back up a few feet to make sure my hubs unlock. Put into gear and head to the car wash after you buzz the main drag so all your non off road buddys can see your mess. I hope that this helps. There is a section in your owners manual and most likely somewhere in your ride telling you how to do this. Hope that this helps Tug[addsig]

TUG! Don't forget to drive in front of the clean "off-road" vehicles and sling mud all over them![addsig]

What's even better is first getting onto the paved road, while still throwing mud from your over sized tires and stock flares onto a brand spankin' new BMW with his top down. I'll never forget the look on his face.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

ive heard you're not supposed to go in reverse for an extended distance in 4 wheel drive. i was taught that when i wanted to take 4 wheel off, to move the select back to 2 wheel drive give it about 5-10 seconds (a little time to let it do its thing) then back up a little and it should be off. this worked well in my experience. if im not doing it right someone give me th heads up too! thanks - master[addsig]

Back