New YJ Guy

bigyance86

Hi everyone,

I am new to the jeep world. Just picked up a 1988 YJ with a 30,000 4.2 long block. Trans slipping but pretty much rust free for a grand. Didnt think it was a bad deal. Just looking for some ideas on transmission mods during rebuild? Also wanting to convert to electric fuel pump? Prev. Owner said carb was very sensative to temperature. Thanks everyone for having me

3032514546-1.gif
and enjoy the forum!

Welcome to JEEPZ.com . I would say you did well for the money on your purchase since it is difficult to score a jeep for low $$ and a good body and chassis. Agree with Terry Mason on the ignition system upgrade . A fuel system upgrade will benefit too. You can spend more cash on trying to get a better carburetor and find the milage isn't what you'd expect and could have put it toward an EFI system and saved in the long run. EFI isn't cheap but WILL pay for itself down the road. Since you did well on your purchase with a low milage engine and should expect many miles from it , the investment(s) will yield . Dependability is what will make you happy. You don't want to be turned off by a jeep that breaks down or won't start more times than you've actually enjoyed actually having a blast out on the trail or just a drive with the top and doors off ( hang in there , summer's coming) . As far as the transmission slipping , consider options such as an AW4 transmission swap . Research first. Where will you get one and how much , what's involved installing it , what other modifications will be needed and how much will that be. The AW4 is an overdrive . I'm guessing the current trans in your wrangler is a three speed auto ? You'll want an overdrive if you plan on the jeep to be dual purpose . Of course there are other options but I think since the AW4 is pretty well known as being fairly dependable and not too expensive , it's a good score. My jeep has just under 170.000 mi. and still has the original AW4 is dosen't miss a shift. I treated it well but I think the world of the AW4. Let's hear from other members experience for more options but I've a feeling others will agree. Stu Olson from stu-offroad.com does . He has a great article on AW4 swap. Primarily , we would like to see you get your jeep to where you want it and be dependable too . Dependable , good milage and not too much $$ is a tall order when fixing or building a jeep but with help and a solid plan , you will follow in the footsteps that many have and are happy with their jeep and enjoying it as well. Hope this helps and best of luck . Greg

Yea that is 30k on engine. It is a Napa long block. The guy rebuilt it because it blew a head gasket. Took head to a machine shop and guy said nothing wrong. So he put it back together and it ran for about 45 min and scattered. So he bought a long block from napa. Pretty nice jeep for 1k

Back