new guy and simple question (carpet installation)

jugghead23

Hey All, my name is Geoff (aka jugghead23).
I'm new in these parts.

I had an 89 YJ when I was in high school that I loved, but when I went off to college, I sold it and always regretted it. Anyway, I have decided to put myself back into a jeep.

I found a 97 Sport for a good price. mechanically sound but cosmetically could use a thorough detailing.

The carpet is a mess and I was considering possibly purchasing one of those after market carpet kits. My question (if anyone knows)....how easy are they to install?
In other words, can I do it in my driveway with little more than a socket set to remove the seats? Do they fit well and match?

I am reasonably handy but don't have much experience working on/in cars. I just don't want to get the seats etc out of the car only to realize I can't get them back in or the carpet needs all sorts of custom trimming to fit right.

Thanks in advance for any help that is offered and I hope I didn't break any ettiquite rules by jumping right in with questions

-Geoff
[addsig]

try rhinoliner or something similar.... that way when you get mud on the inside you can spray it out[addsig]

Welcome back to the world of Jeepz. heheheeh Throw out the carpet and buy yourself some Hurculiner roll on bed linner. For a hundred bucks or less you will ahve a great looking surface that will take a beating and keep on ticking long after the carpet is in the dumpster. Just my 2 cents. tug[addsig]

I'm going to catch hell for this but I don't plan on doing that much off-roading (let me have it!)

Most of my time in the jeep will be spent at the beach barefoot so I'd prefer to go the carpet route. I was just wondering if anyone else has used any of the aftermarket carpet kits[addsig]

Quadratrac, shows some interesting sets, carpet, VINYL, etc
They appear to be molded Like the oem carpet.
Might consider Vinyl, beach sand, clean up.

With a Friend, you should be able to do it in the drive.

Don't fret, about the Not much off road comment, no one
here will flame for that. We all know at some point, your
Jeep will pull you off road, all by herself. Fufilling her
destiny. Plus nothing wrong with running beaches.

Welcome back to the Jeep World, We are glad you're here,
post often,,,,

You may want to use the Search button on the menu to the left,
over 30,000 searchable threads. might be great advice from the
past for you there. Good Luck.

I would use a liner, protect my steel, then throw some soft rubber
mats in for the barefoot aspect... Actually cost less to do.
protect better, and what a shame to pull the console and seats,
and not paint on some Herculiner. Ha Ha

Just playing, I know alot of folks want to keep their ride stock.
And there is no harm in that. Straight out of the Box,, Capable.

edited by: USMPK9, Jun 20, 2003 - 12:25 AM[addsig]

No knocks here for not taking it off road...just enjoy your Jeep, and keep the Jeeping way of life. Top down, wind in your hair, sun on your face.
I know it's a sacrice, but I think you'll manage. :)

Rob :p :cool: :) [addsig]

Ok beleive it or not but I just put a carpet kit in my jeep!!!!!!
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH......I know, I know but no ....it is
real easy to do if you can read basic instructions it shouldn't
be a problem and the longest part is removing seat, brackets, ECT.....
anyways good luck and you won't have any problems ....... :-D :-O :-D [addsig]

Thanks Jeep Addict.
What brand did you use? Does it look and feel good? Doesn't move around on you does it?[addsig]

If you are talking to me I got it from Quadratec
and the brand "Proline Carpet Set " and it was 169.95
and it doesn't move or shift, keeps some noise out and
the floor isn't hot on my feet........ :-D [addsig]

Does anyone know about rhino liner for jeeps? Like if i were to prep the jeep by pulling all the seats and the carpet would they do a layer of rhino liner to the inside? That would be truly incredible, though i would imagine it would have to be expensive, seeing as they would have to me so much more careful as far as detailing, anybody know abvout this?[addsig]

Boston~~ they make them for YJ's CJ's and TJ's............ :-D

Paintmaine~~~~they do have places that will spray in a Rino liner but
you would be better off going the Hurculiner roll in liner
it will save you alot of time and headache, so you don't
have to repunch holes...ect.... :-O :-D [addsig]

yeah i found some YJ ones but they were all like gray and honey colored whatever the heck that is.

I need spice!

help!?[addsig]

Try 4wd.com, desertrat.com, or even jcwhitney might have some.....I will look more into it......... :-O [addsig]

Back