New dash for cj7

jeepofino

RE: Camp Jeep

I ordered a dash from JCwhitney. I knew it was fiberglass and would have to have some holes cut for gauges. What type of saw should be used for this? Jig sawwith fine teeth? Thanks.

Hole saw! the CJ guages are pretty standard sizes, Home depot will carry them. the I would use a Dremel with a small cutt off wheel, With a steady hand, it will yeild a cleaner cut than a jigsaw.

Jig saw with fine teeth will work, but if you're looking for a cleaner cut/look I would use a regular hole saw.

Thanks, I have a hole saw for the small gauges, 2 inch I think, and will try the jig on the speedometer. Other than that I just have a few toggle switchs for heat and windshield wipers, no radio or glove box. The dash from Whitney is ok but I think one could be fabricated just as well. Thanks again.

When you do the speedometer with the jigsaw, I would first apply painters masking tape over the area to prevent any possibility of the fiberglass splitting/cracking.

RE: broken tap

Ya, you'll be cutting through the tape. And make sure there's at least like a 1" of tape on each side of the cut.

I don't know anything about the JC Whitney dashes, but the ones like alot of guys around here run in their mud Jeeps like to crack really easily. Make sure you are supporting it right under the area you are working on, use masking tape, and run as fine of a tooth as you can on whatever you end up using to cut it. It's easier to go slow and take your time than it is to pay for another dash.

Just be careful with it. I've seen one go in the trash before it ever got to the Jeep. Depending on what's still in the way under the dash, I'd consider fabbing some sort of brace to go behind the passenger side. I'm sure it's not as thin as the ones I've seen, but it's still fiberglass.

The good part is that fiberglass would be real easy to fix if you know how to do the stuff. You could even build the dash up thicker if you were worried about it cracking while it's in the Jeep too.

Back