need to put new key tumbler in

mean green

ok i got an 88 wrangler steering wheel is off down to the clock spring but i lost my keys so i cant turn the ignition completly screwed i wanna drive my jeep we got a foot plus of snow and shes just sitting out front need help

Personally I would call a lock smith.They can either rekey it or make a new key.You should also be able to go to the stealership with your vin and have them cut you a key.

tumblers are pretty easy to do actually... did one in my mustang and jeep. Chiltons should cover it.

yup the "key part" of teh ignition switch should be available at about any parts store; teh actual ignition "switch" is actuated by a long rod and is further down on the column. Not a big deal save your $$ that a locksmith woould charge. If we knew what part of the country that you live in maybe another member here could help you out. I used to work for a dealer that leased their back lot out to a finance company; when they would repo them the repo guys would destroy the columns; we had to rebuild those columns either when the customer caught up on payments or the vehicle got sent to auction.

Just went to the "stealership" to get a key made for my sons jeep. cost me $20 after tax. Then went to home depot and had 2 more cut from the one we had made. They all work great, worth the $20 took about 5 minutes at the parts counter, and the two free quad shot expressos at their coffee stand helped offset the $20. so all in all good deal.

So, can you replace the key and tumbler set if you don't have the key? Key and tumbler replacement seems to be a lot cheaper than calling a locksmith.

I'm working on an 89 YJ and I lost the keys. Dealer can't recut a key from the vin because of it's age.

Thanks.

So, can you replace the key and tumbler set if you don't have the key? Key and tumbler replacement seems to be a lot cheaper than calling a locksmith.

I'm working on an 89 YJ and I lost the keys. Dealer can't recut a key from the vin because of it's age.

Thanks.

Fish,

Changing the entire lock mechanism is pretty easy. All you have to do is remove the steering wheel and turn signal assembly, insert a small flat blade screwdriver down into the slot near the 2:00 position (look for the hole) and press down on the part on the side of the lock tumbler barrel that keeps the lock in the column. You can feel the barrel come loose when you pull slightly on it. This works with or without out the key. I just did mine last fall and it took me about 15 minutes. My grandson lost his key in his 86 and we did the same thing in about 30 minutes (he wanted to help). I then went to Jeep and bought another lock for about $30 and put the new one in. It just slides back in and locks into place. I hope this helps.

Dave ;)

Fish,

Changing the entire lock mechanism is pretty easy. All you have to do is remove the steering wheel and turn signal assembly, insert a small flat blade screwdriver down into the slot near the 2:00 position (look for the hole) and press down on the part on the side of the lock tumbler barrel that keeps the lock in the column. You can feel the barrel come loose when you pull slightly on it. This works with or without out the key. I just did mine last fall and it took me about 15 minutes. My grandson lost his key in his 86 and we did the same thing in about 30 minutes (he wanted to help). I then went to Jeep and bought another lock for about $30 and put the new one in. It just slides back in and locks into place. I hope this helps.

Dave ;)

That helps immensely. Thanks!

Fish,

Let me know if you have problems finding the slot for the cylinder release. I may have some old pictures I took of the column with the turn signal removed and showing the slot. If I remember correctly, it is at about the 2 or 2:30 spot on the column, so look thereabouts first.

Dave

Fish,

Let me know if you have problems finding the slot for the cylinder release. I may have some old pictures I took of the column with the turn signal removed and showing the slot. If I remember correctly, it is at about the 2 or 2:30 spot on the column, so look thereabouts first.

Dave

As luck would have it, just as I got back from the final trip to the parts store to get a tumbler/keyset and a steering wheel puller kit, the previous owner found his spare ignition key. In the end I probably spent just as much time looking for the damn things as I would have tearing the steering column apart!

Thanks for the posts, I need to swap key cylinders when I replace my YJ column with a tilt column. Was curious how difficult it would be. Thanks again.

Fish,

I'm glad you solved the problem with the missing key. Finding one is always the easier (and cheaper) route. As for the wheel puller, I discovered through another's earlier post that you don't really need it to remove the steering wheel. Once the nut is off the shaft, just yank hard a few times and the wheel will come right off. If the shaft is rusted, some penetrating oil first might be helpful. Be careful when you yank, 'cause when the wheel comes off it can smack you in the face and cause untold damage to dental work and nose jobs!

Dave

Back