Need Opinion of fellow Jeepers

KrazyJeeper

Ok folks, I sold my TJ about a year ago and have never been right since so I have decided to buy another. Here are a few that I am looking at and tell me what you guys think.

1. 94 Wrangler Sport, 6 cyl, 5 sp manual, 3.5 inch lift, 31 inch tirs with 99,000 miles on it- $7,000
2. 97 Wrangler Sport, 6 cyl, 5 sp manual, 4 inch pro comp, 33 inch tires with 158,000 on odo however, he said he has documentation showing rebuild at 102,000, this one also comes with k&N filter, flowmaster exhaust, Rubi express trak bar, super short slip yoke eliminator drive shaft, new soft top, new upper doors and front and rear regeared with 4,56s. Asking price is 8,000.
3. 98 Wrangler Sport, 6 cyl auto, 4 inch rough country, 1 inch body and 35 inch wrangerl MT on 16x8 rubi wheels. Has set of 1 1/4 inch Spider Trax Wheel Spacers, Borla Muffler, K&N Filter, hard and soft top, 127,000 asking 9,800
4. 99 Wrangler Sahara, 6 cyl auto, 32 inc tires, hard top with 89,000 miles asking 9,500.

From the many pics I have requested, they all seems to be very clean and not hard ridden jeeps, but they are spread out all over Texas so I need to narrow it down and prioritize them so I can look at least at one or two this weekend. I would appreciate your comments. Not just the YJ/TJ thing though. LOL, Thanks, KJ

I vote for #2 if the motor infact has been rebuilt. The gears, lift and everything else is worth the miles as long as it is not thrashed.

Well how much are you going to use it? Daily Driver or trail rig? If it were a trail rig I would go with the YJ. But if it were to be more of a daily driver I would go with #2 if the motor was rebuild. just my .02

LR

I'd agree with both posts. Not to get into the YJ/TJ debate too much, but I'd take the TJ if everything else is equal. I'd personally prefer a manual to an auto transmission, so that would end the debate among the three TJs right there for me. However, presuming that the transmission is a neutral issue for you (pardon the pun), you're essentially buying a hard top for about $1,500 for options 3 or 4. Option 2 has more gear, and, of course, the rebuild. Question, however, why the previous owner needed a rebuild so soon. Also notice all the off road accessories. I bet that #2 has been driven harder than the others--esp. #4.

how about goto the gas station buy $5 dollar scratch off ticket, win then buy all of them? every day drive a diff one???? or better yet donate a few to fell jeepers that don't have Wranglers :D and keep the one you like best. Ok... if that isn't going to go good for you, I Like the 99 just cause thats a good year, the #2 looks good but yea, same question on why the rebuild so quick.

I would rule out the re-build. That engine should not have needed a rebuild so early and besides that, you don't know if the builder was competent or not.
Other than that, You should go look at them. Then decide what your plans are going to be for this Jeep. Lifts are cheaper for the YJ, but IMO the TJ coils are better.
Based solely in the description, #4 sounds the best to me.

Personally, I'd take the YJ, but that's just me. I agree with Red about the rebuilt engine....kinda suspicious. If the engine's been rebuilt, you never know how hard everything else was abused and ready to go south on you. The Sahara sounds pretty good, too, though I'd rather have a manual transmission (again, just personal preference). Since I'm partial to YJ's, I'd still take the YJ over the Sahara. But, if you're into the coil springs, then yeah, I'd say definitely the Sahara.

Thanks for all the opinions, and I think I have ruled each one out for some reason. I actually found one locally today that will cost more, but I have decided to trade in the XJ on the TJ to balance out the money. Plus, I also have a truck so me having three vehicles is kind of silly. The one I found today is a 2000 Black Sahara with hard top, auto etc. No lift, but that will be coming very soon. Haven't actually bought it yet, but hopefully by the weekend. I gotta get this Jeep thing out of my head. LOL

Yeah Dude the 97 Wrangler go with that one, Sounds like one sweet ride. One sweet price to I might add, for all that your getting.

Back