NEED HELP FAST!!!! JEEP WON'T START!!

nickydiamonds

MY JEEP DIED ON ME TODAY. I HAVE A FOUR CYL. AND IT CRANKS BUT DOESN'T TURN OVER, I CHECKED ALL IGNITION COMPONENTS, WHAT CAN IT BE? WHEN I CRANK IT, IT SOUNDS LIKE ITS ALMOST READY TO TURN OVER BUT THEN DOESN'T. PLEASE HELP!!![addsig]

Hey check your iginition modual unit. that is what it sounds like to me anyway. Best of luck and I feel your pain. tug :-( [addsig]

my jeep was doing something similar... the bastard would turn and turn... put once or twice.... then die... then do the same thereafter... i replaced the fuel filter, it ran..... next day... there he goes again... doin the same thing.... opened the hood.... there was the negative battery cable, trying to sneak away... bad connection[addsig]

Also did you check for fuel? There is a Maxi fuse under the hood. Also use the shrader valve to release fuel pressure to make sure you have fuel. The only reason why I say this, I soent like 5 hour trying to disgnose a ignition problem and it was just a bad fuse![addsig]

What year is it? Fuel inj or carb.The 3 thing needed to start are : Spark, Fuel, and Compression. Check to see if your getting these.[addsig]

my jeep wouldn't start when my crankshaft position sensor went bad on me... what year jeep do you have?[addsig]

To have motor run, three things are absoultly needed! Fuel, spark and air! take away one, motor no run!. You need to identify which one your motor is missing. Identify that, repair it and she'll run. I'm not gonna go into the air filter it should be clean!
Spark. Is there spark? Have some one hold the coil wire, and touch the end while you try this to start the motor! If the person jumps back 12 feet when you try to start the motor, It's a good bet you have spark! NO, Kidding, don't let them touch the wire, if there is spark it's gonna hurt. Have them hold the coil wire with insulated plyers up to some metal on the block. If the coil and ignition is working, there will be an easily seen spak when you (or someone ) turns the motor over. IF no spark is seen, either the coil or the ignition module has gone south.
If theres a spark, it's a good bet that the ignition and coil are ok. where does the coil wire plug on to? Why the cap of course. If you know theres a spark at the end of the coil wire, that spark needs to get to the spark plugs right? so look at the dist. cap and rotor. The rotor should have some metal at the tip,and the cap, should have metal prongs inside it. Are they in good shape? If not replace them!
Ok, so now you've checked the path the spark needs to take to make engin go boom. and everything seems good (or was replaced to make good) Motor still no go boom!
Whats was another of the 3 things needed? Fuel! No fuel no boom boom! Not sure about the 4cyl fuel system,( fuel injected I'm sure) someone mentioned a the schader valve to check for fuel. ok.
If no fuel pressure, then it's a good bet the FUEL PUMP went south! (I don't have a 4 cyl, so I'm just speculating on where it might located) The pump is probably located in the fuel tank.
Theres a little trouble shooting for ya. If you keep your jeep long enough, you'll learn these things, or go broke at a stealership.
Bottom line, three things are needed to make motor go boom. Fuel spark and air
Take away one, motor no run.

:-D [addsig]

my 2.5 had the same problem a little while back. It turned out to be my crank sensor. Just another Idew for you to check, good luck.[addsig]

Sounds like the CPS. if all wlse checks-out. Had the same problem with mine. Also consider the ignition switch.

blue[addsig]

Back