Need Dana 44 info

90Xjay

If you have been following the thread in the XJ forum, you know that I, ole 90 have embarked on an adventure to find a Dana 44 in a wrecked XJ or Commanche truck. What I need from you is info in what to look for.
I have heard so many many different things about which year models came with a Dana 44 if they had factory towing. Also, I think
I can ID a Dana 44 from the diff cover. Any photos or info to help ID one like vin #s would also help.

I hope to find one for me and one for Mingez!!!!
I looked at three wrecked or blown motor XJs today, and no luck. :cry:

'87-'91 XJ and MJ I believe, after looking at so many D35's you'll surely recognize a 44 when you see it. Keep up the search, they're still out there.

If you don't mind changing the lug pattern or using a spacer to adapt the lug pattern back to stock, you could use a rear D44 from an early '90s Isuzu Amigo. They've got disc brakes stock.

RE: high beams work, low beams won

Thanks BH,
I know that they were available,but my stock 1990 with factory tow hitch still came with a 35.. :cry:

I would love to do a disk brake swap, would I have to change out the master cylinder?

RE: Re: RE: Unlimited Rubi, Hemi, 37

Obviously a XJ will swap right in, but a MJ unit will need the perches switched to the other side (SUA not SOA)

Are you talking about just a bottom mount perch vs a top mount?

That would not be too bad to do.
:?

TFI and Emissions

Well, I had a bad day today. :( :(

I took the afternoon and went to 2 big wrecking yards and looked at over 20 XJs from 85 thru 96 and not one Dana 44. I found mostly Dana 35's alot of them with the diff covers off like they had failed and probly lead to being sold to the wrecking yards. I did find one or two Chrysler 8.25's on the later models.

I personally know where about 10 more XJ's are, I hope one of them has a 44.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Unlimited Rubi, Hemi, 37

you can always go with a ford explorer rear end. Same bolt pattern, as strong as a d44, easy swap................

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Unlimited Rubi, Hemi, 37

TwistedCopper Wrote:
What gears do you have?

Dana 35/ 3:55 ratio

yjdave wrote:
you can always go with a ford explorer rear end. Same bolt pattern, as strong as a d44, easy swap

What is that rear end exactly, I would like to know more about the actual swap out and what to expect.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Why can

Those 8.8's are tough and I think they will be alot easier to find than the dana 44. Good luck with the search!

I believe mid 90's (drum) late 90's (disc)get the disc. almost same width,same pattern, very strong(unless you got v8 and 38's) Will probably come with a limited slip and maybe luck out on the ratio

RE: FOR SALE : MINT : (4)Brand New 15x10 Cragar Soft 8s

there are issues with the shaft sleeves rotating. quick solution is that people put 3 welds around them and weld them to the pumpkin, thus preventing any rotation. i'm sure if you visit www.naxja.com there are plenty of people there that have done the swap.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: New wrenching injury!

If you plan on re-gearing when you do it, go for the 8.8 out of a '97 or later Explorer. I doubt you'll find one with 3:55 gears, but if you are going to regear anyway, it is strong and the disc brakes make it a really nice upgrade.

If you don't want to re-gear, the 8.25 would be real easy to find with the 3:55 gears, as they are the most common found in XJ's (almost all of the 4.0L/Auto transmission XJ's have them). Just remember to get it from a '97 or later XJ to get the stronger one ;) Although re-gearing would be limited in the future, 4:56 is a good low ratio.

The Ford 8.8 would definitely be your best bet, but it will certainly be more expensive having to re-gear. At least if you find one with 4:10 gears you'll only need to re-gear your front D30.

Personally, I'd ditch the D44 idea altogether as they are so hard to find and would be more $$$ too.

Another thing, the Ford 8.8 will give you many more choices in lockers/LS's. There are some available for the 8.25 rear but not nearly as many.

TwistedCopper said:
Another thing, the Ford 8.8 will give you many more choices in lockers/LS's. There are some available for the 8.25 rear but not nearly as many.

Quite a few of them even came with Limited Slips in them...so if that's what you're after (instead of a locker), look for one of those--with the Lim. slip.

The disc brakes definetly make them something desirable, among other things :wink:

Sorry, I didn't check out the XJ thread.
If you are swapping for more shaft strength then it seems like with all the talk of regearing and welding perches, it may be a more viable solution to just buy a set of chromoly shafts and be done with it.
I would personally go for a Ford 9" from a fullsize Bronco. The lug pattern is different though.

Re: RE: when your so called friend stands you up...

He wants locker(s) and has a D35 rear...

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Unlimited Rubi, Hemi, 37

Junkpile said:
I've NEVER seen a XJ/MJ version of the D44 in a junkyard.....

X2

And I even went to the Jonkies (Junkyards) in Juarez. There are tons of things down there, and real obscure, but no XJ d44's.

RE: Gen Chat Mods... one more

Counting my run the other day, I have personally looked at over 30 XJ's and not one D44. I did find an Isuzu Amigo with a D44 though. I have not heard much about how hard that swap is.

Back