My other hobby (obsession?)

Green97TJ

So Ive been gone a lot the past few days, one because I was home for the weekend and two because I was researching a possible new addiction ;)
http://www.springfield-armory.com/images/xd-pistol/XD9102Large.jpg

I love my guns :D

Anyway this is a possible Christmas present from my parents, all I have to do is say yes. So I was wondering if anyone knows anything about these guns, good or bad, and even better if someone has personal experience. Its a Springfield Armory XD40 (.40 S&W), I believe the 4" service model, in all black.

Also wondering about the price. Its lightly used, would come with holster and 2 clips for about 350 or 400.

So what do yall think?

Nathan

Looks like a HK P-7 clone. Says cal. 9X19 on the barrel, not .40. Personnaly I never buy a used gun unless, I shake it for loosness, scope the barrel for wear and shoot it for accuracy.
Is it all steel or is the lower aluminum. If the lower is aluminum, they get worn fairly quickly at the slide rails.
Something else to look at, is wether it will only feed ball ammo, or will it feed soft points or hollow points. Some pistols have preferances.

That pic isnt of the particular gun Im looking to buy, just one of the same series. It come in 9mm, .40, and i think .357SIG.

I have shot the particular gun that I might be getting. With almost no experience with handguns, a strong wind, and being a little excited about shooting I was able to get 5 of 10 rounds in about a 5 or 6 inch group at 15-20 yards. The others were all on the target at least (the "target" was a chunk of firewood). Now I know that those numbers or groups arent good at all, but with all the other factors considered I thought it was ok.

As far as the materials, its a polymer frame. Is that what your asking? I believe the rest is steel.

Anyway, Ive read a lot about this gun on other forums and it seems to be mostly good. However, since I feel like I know most of the people on this board at least a little better, I thought Id ask here. Thanks

Nathan

6x6?

Trust me, you can't got wrong with a Springfield Armory gun!! My brother has one of those in 9mm, and I believe they are the toughest guns made, from what I've read about their testing. He has a DVD that came with his that shows them running over the gun with a tank in the mud, on asphalt, concrete, and in sand...in all tests, they pick the gun up, shake out the muck, and fire it to empty the clip...never misses a round. They also do many other severe tests to it, and it always functioned perfectly. 100,000 rounds through it without cleaning, and not a single misfire. The composite they use wears less than either aluminum or steel. I say, yeah....go for it!!

RE: Choke question

Baby Jesus would want you to have a 9mm for Christmas!

RE: Merry Christmas to me

I almost bought one of those a while back, but was talked out of it and got a 40sw glock 23 instead. My friend owns the 9mm in the pic and the only draw back that I can tell you about is the finish. I have been told that they will rust if not taken care of properly, after the finish gets scratched. And the finish they use on those guns is not as durable as some other guns in the same class. Personally I would spend the extra money and get a walther, glock, hk, etc.... but I am not bashing that one and if you like get it.

ps. $350 is a good deal.

RE: Speaking of Christmas...

terrymason said:
Thats pretty funny....but maybe we shouldnt make jokes on a thread started by a guy who collects guns. :wink:

Haha.... Its ok joke all ya want... just not to my face! j/k ;)

Anyhow, yea Ive read about problems with the finish, but many owners are saying they dont have a problem, and many have sent the gun back to springfield to be refinished... for free. So Im going to go for it.

Thanks a lot!

Nathan

RE: For all you "photo-choppers"

judge09 said:
terrymason said:
Thats pretty funny....but maybe we shouldnt make jokes on a thread started by a guy who collects guns. :wink:

Hahaha! You beat me to it.

Florida Jeepers

ENFIELDN1MKIIICAL303_01-5.jpg

I got one of these-1947 British Enfield .303

m44l-5.jpg

one of these-1953 Romanian M-44 7.62x54R NOT 7.62x39

HungM9130overall_smallJPG-5.jpg

and one of these-1896 Russian M-91 7.62x54R

image-missing.png

Used to have one of these-Savage model 11 .223cal w/3-9x40 simmons scope

image-missing.png

This is the first gun I ever got at the age of 9-Savage Mk-II .22

I love shooting and hope to have one of these soon....
image-missing.png

.40 cal S&W Baretta 96 BRIGADIER INOX.......... Ohhhh, :oops:

Factory Goodyear Wrangler Tires on Rubicon

"I have more guns than I need....but not near as many as I want."

Senator Phil Grahmn of Texas

The price is real decent. You can check out what people are paying on
www.gunbroker.com It's an ebay-style auction service for guns.

I'm not afraid of used guns. About 1/2 of the guns I buy are used person to person cash transactions.

prariepunk said:

As a gun owner, you should know better than to point a loaded weapon at somebody!!

Actually, this is a prime example of why you should host your own pictures you post here, rather than just copying the location and posting it. This is mild compared to what I've seen some websites replace their pictures with when you copy a location. Food for thought. :wink:

Actually, this is a prime example of why you should host your own pictures you post here, rather than just copying the location and posting it

Good point. It is also a good example of how easy it is to use the "Preview" button to see what your post is going to look like.

Back