Milemarker Winches.....worth it?

bryanjeep

I am looking into getting a good priced reliable winch and Mile Marker winches seem to be a good price. Anyone here run one? Are they good? Worth it? Any help would be great.

I even hear they come with a mounting plate?

5 Jeep Ecco wheels for sale

I hear they are powerful and slow.

Got one, used a few times. I hear they use less juice than warn. Mine is kinda slow but that's not a bad thing less your trying to winch a zillion feet in a hurry or winch all day long.

Mine didn't come with a plate but it was on a great sale.

Lady

I have a "Duke" winch (Asian-made) and, so far, it's performed great. Mile Marker is a well known name so I'm sure the quality and reliablility is there. I just took a chance on mine because it was a great price (eBay). I'm sure the Mile Marker you're looking at is comparatively slow - that's one reason why it's cheaper. But just as in wheeling, slow is not a bad thing - gives you a chance to keep an eye on things while you're helpin' another wheeler out. The main thing is the load rating - mines rated at 9000# so I can't imagine there's much it can't handle. Just read up on winching before you use it - there's a few things you need to know (i.e. - heat is BAD). Good luck and happy winching - it's worth the peace of mind!

mud

Yeah being slow isnt bad, just some people are so impressed with line speed.

slow sucks when you're not actually winching and trying to get that line in, otherwise slow doesnt matter that much, its a rush to use that thing, you wont get tired of it

Speed is good when you're one of a few winches in a group and you have to winch every jeep over/through an obstacle. Speed can also be dangerous, especially when winding my M8274 back up at 74ft./min it'll get your hand if you're not very careful.

The MileMarker electrics are made in China, so the reliability is spotty. You can get lucky and get a good winch that will last years, or the motor could burn up after two hard pulls. Same with the Ramsey 'e' line of winches, and other bargain brands.

If you want to it work good when the chips are down, stick with a proven winch like Warn. It'll last decades and the product support is great. My Warn is a '76 model, still working strong with original parts except cable and controller.

Like the REP Ramsey series, the Mile Marker was designed for occasional light use. They are not designed to be run more than 30 seconds at a time wihtout cooling. For more severe duty, go with a Warn or Ramsey PRO or Patriot series.
I bought my Warn XD9000i used for $400. It has never let me down. Think about it, do you really want to skimp in this department. The one time you need it may depend on you getting out in one piece.

Bounty, as usual, has a very good take on this subject, as does Red Rooster. I bought my "cheapie" mainly for peace of mind (which it provides) and don't really care how long it takes for it to pull me out - as long as I get out. Hopefully, the motor will hold up when I'm rescuing others, too. I DO keep an eye on the heat.

Pulled in the "sales" DVD from Milemarker about a month ago. Interesting info and comparisons. I do not own a winch at present but have been thinking about one for a while. It all just takes $$.
D

Back