Low Budget Off Road Up Grades?

Tug-n-pull

We all do things that personalize our Jeeps and make them unique. What low budget items have you added to your ride to make it trail ready and cool that did not cost much money?

Lifts and tires and bumpers are a given. On board air and the such is higher dollar upgrades than I am looking for here. Lets see what we have all done to fix up our Jeeps with out major cost.

The Bicycle Shifter Cable Hand Throttle is a good low budget add on. The Ammo Can Console is another. Do you get my drift?

Take a piece of 4" PVC Drain pipe about 12" long with a cap on one end and a clean out on the other. then secure it into place under the Jeep on the frame with heavy Zip Ties and you have a great place to keep items out of site and dry. Matches, Space Blanket, Knife, Duct Tape, Line, MREs, Flares, ect.. Then you have a basic Survival Kit with no lost storage space. Break downs will be a bit more comfy till help arrives.

I hope that his post makes sence and I know that you all have a ton of great ideas so post the welth of ideas here. Tug

edited by: Tug-n-pull, Apr 10, 2003 - 11:27 PM[addsig]

Welded F/R differentials (Free).
Manual vacuum axle disconnect ($20).
Hand throttle ($7).
Remove rear track bar (YJ only, Free).
Used M8274 winch ($100 :-O ).
Muffler clamp hi-lift mount ($5).
Milk-jug airtube splashshield ($1.59).
Inverted TJ rear bumper (Free).
Chopped YJ front bumper (Free).
The list goes on......... :-D [addsig]

Added high flow air filter without expensive intake hose. I used a 90 degree PVC elbow, a 45 elbow and a coupling. Total of $2.13!!! Works great![addsig]

chopped chevy truck springs for the add-a-lift... wow.. bounty... i like the price on that winch.... ima need me one a'dem.

a homebrew onboard welder is not an expensive item to fab up... just need to find someone with an alternator... people have them all over sitting around... i've got a few i'm choosing from now.

plumb a small shut off valve into your brake line for a line lock... push the petal, turn the knob, and you're not rolling[addsig]

HI ALL. Been working my but off!! But it's about to slack up. I used a compressor from the leveling system off a Buick and mounted it under the hood to air up my tires and I also carry tire plugs. No tire changes for me!!! I keep a coiled up air hose under the hood also, I just wrapped it around the rods that go to the firewall. The compressor works alot better than the ones you buy. It cost me 10 bucks from a junkyard. But make sure you watch it when you air up a tire, it doesn't take long. If it'll level a big car with a load in a few seconds it'll sure blow a tire![addsig]

Don't forget the "expand gas tank" mod. I havn't done it yet but I guess you can make your gas tank hold 5 more gallons by removing one little hose! Heres a link Free!
Another thing... I like to put a Kill switch on my vehicles... just splice a toggle switch into the coil wire, hide the switch under the dash where only you know... instant security system![addsig]

I have a kill swirch in my yj. It is hooked up to my rear defrost button. Works great. Whenever sombody askes to borrow my jeep, I say sure if you can start it. They never can. lol[addsig]

I have a kill switch wired up to my fuel pump....this way no one can bomb start the jeep. I also have my diffs and transfer case run into my airbox...no more water in the diffs or transfercase.[addsig]

i used a air cond. compressor off a cherrokee to build an on board air set up.. a tank off a big rig. and manifolds and fittings from a local automotive supplier.. cost about 300 bucks by the time it was done.. used a 3/8 coupler from home depot to extend my stick and transfer case shifters after the body lift... hockey puck body lift... 2" pvc pipe to move air inlet on stock air box... ammo can storage.. [addsig]

Bounty hunter. What is your cheap trick for a manual axle engagement/disengagement? Thanks :evil:

edited by: Gspotracing, Apr 14, 2003 - 03:15 AM[addsig]

zip-ties duck tape and sawzalls.... :lol: :lol: [addsig]

A friend of mine replaced his stock front bumper with a homemade one. The catch is he made it into a airpig as well. He goes down to the gas station, fills it with air, then hits the trails. It is really slick, I'm thinking of gearing one up.[addsig]

Bounty hunter. What is your cheap trick for a manual axle engagement/disengagement? Thanks :evil: edited by: Gspotracing, Apr 14, 2003 - 03:15 AM

Manual vacuum switch from a full-size Cherokee SJ with the Quadratrac 4wd. It has one input and two outputs and splices into the vacuum system that operates the front axle disconnect. Red line (manifold vacuum) to input and two outputs go to front axle vacuum lines along passenger frame rail.

Super cheap, easy, and effective.

I've done the 15gal to 20gal mod, forgot to put it on the list. It has to be one of the best mods. I wheel all day before the guage comes off full, and all the 6cyl and 8cyl jeepers are looking for the next gas pump :p [addsig]

Back