loss of "partime" 4-wd

dmetcalf99

I have a 91 cherokee, its a 4.0, it has a FULL TIME and PART-TIME 4wd, the manual states part time should be driven in soft sand only, well after some serious driving through mud/water/sand (several feet deep) the 4wd PART-TIME light no longer comes on when shifted into 4pwd (it drives like it is
4wd partime though)

anyways I'm wondering how I can get the light back on (sometimes it blinks on when in 4wd partime)

thanks

also does anybody know the difference between the 4wd partime and 4wd full time?

the difference is this: there is a planetary gear (a type of differential) in the T-case between the front & rear output shafts. when in part time the diff is locked, when in full time it isn't, allowing the system to unload stress all around, which is why you can run full time on dry pavement. sort of like all wheel drive. somewhere on this board i posetd a link that had a good explanation and pictures but i can't find it at the moment.

Hi,

The light is controlled by a vacuum operated switch on cherokees with the part-time only transfer case (NP 231). This switch is blue in color (looks like a capacitor) and is mounted to the passenger side fender of the engine compartment below the coolant reservoir. I don't know if the cherokees with full time transfer cases (NP242) use these vacuum switches or not. if so, check for vacuum at the port and that the switch is making a good connection to the chassis (it is a grounding switch). :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

it could have been the 5 feet of water you went through that messed up your switch. but i guess the light seems minor compared to the altenator and starter.

LOL, yeah where the horn honked..and it got drounded out. :D
that was wicked funny

Oh, and Welcome to Jeepz.com, bro!

Altinator, and starter..I didn't know. We could bust that out.

Back