Loose steering column question

Engir

I was making a three point turn and this happened

WhatsApp Image 2024-07-04 at 19.36.28_85e3b9f6.jpg

Now I have taken the column down and the plate is still attached

WhatsApp Image 2024-07-23 at 08.12.26_13e97090.jpgWhatsApp Image 2024-07-23 at 08.11.00_7ea343b3.jpgWhatsApp Image 2024-07-23 at 08.23.02_21d548ca.jpg

Anyone had this happen, any idea what is going on?

Last edited:

you had play in the steering column and that is why you are tearing it down?

i think the cherokee columns, at least the earlier ones, were actually chevy steering columns. you might be able to find some info if you search that using chevy instead of jeep or cherokee

you had play in the steering column and that is why you are tearing it down?

i think the cherokee columns, at least the earlier ones, were actually chevy steering columns. you might be able to find some info if you search that using chevy instead of jeep or cherokee
I have been watching videos and all the video only talk about the E8 bolts coming loose but in the images you can see they are not disconnected from the plate so I am looking for an alternative cause?

maybe the joint has just worn out. if you have one that is the chevy column, i know chevy columns get wear and become loose as they age. they get a good amount of side to side and up/down movement at the tilt joint

I
maybe the joint has just worn out. if you have one that is the chevy column, i know chevy columns get wear and become loose as they age. they get a good amount of side to side and up/down movement at the tilt joint
The ball joint in the column is tight I am unsure what is going on in the back of my mind I am thinking that a month or so ago I took the column apart to replace the ignition it was broken and maybe I did not get something tight?

Back