Looky at what I did!

I've been doing a small experiment since gas prices were so high for a while. I've been driving easy to see what kind of mileage I can get. Here's the parameters I set:

1: Keep speed at or below 55 mph
2: Keep RPM's below 2700
3: No jackrabbit starts
4: Coast to stops
5: No idling past 30 seconds unless absolutely necessary

Here are the results from the last three tanks of gas:

Tank 1: 426.8 miles on 18.447 gallons = 23.09 mpg
Tank 2: 360.2 miles on 15.211 gallons = 23.68 mpg
Tank 3: 428.3 miles on 17.525 gallons = 24.44 mpg

This is with the air restrictor removed from the intake tube, 31x10.5x15 tires on steel wheels, some days into a 20-25mph wind (as well as with that wind going back home), and all speed verified by GPS to be sure the speedo gear is working correctly after the bigger tires. Temps during the test phase ranged from low 40's to mid 90's, averaging around 65 for most of the drive time. I used mid-grade gas (90 octane) for the testing, only because it was up to 7 cents a gallon cheaper with my discount card.

Whaddaya think? 8)

THose are some nice results! Was this all flat traveling or were there some hills?

Incredible for a YJ, what engine and transmission do you have?

Driving habits have a lot to do with fuel effeciency, and a lot of people could learn from your example.

Have you tried the acetone? I've seen a 2-3mpg improvement in my YJ.

I wish I had that kind of self discipline :lol:

Hey Sparky, just curious... What did you do with your old wheels?

This was in my '94 YJ 4-banger with the stock 5-speed transmission. Mostly flat ground travelling, very few small hills of no more than 60-80 feet rise over half a mile....can't really even call them hills. I haven't tried the acetone yet.....just a bit hesitant about putting a solvent in my fuel tank until I read more on it. What are the long-term effects to the engine and fuel system?

TC, I sold my wheels on eBay for $200. I've still got the one spare left though.

Very cool!

I think I might try this when I get Squeeky all fixed up. been running super rich with the exhaust leaks all over the motor!

Those are VERY good numbers for a 4 cyl. Jeep!!!

I've been doing the same with my daily driver...keep the RPM's under 2,000; no crazy driving; and stay under 70 mph (I have to drive on the freeway a lot, so can't go 55 everywhere like some people!).

Only problem is my mpg #'s are a lot less then yours (I get about 12-13mpg...sometimes 14 though).

I don't know what my milage is these days but it's not good. Ever since gas prices went up I don't drive anywhere extra. I can't afford too. I despise driving the jeep and getting gas in it. Three more years of lease before I can do anything about it too (purchase an economy car). If it gets over 2.60 I'll be walking or riding a bike or something.

Lady

RE: Vent stuck in defrost position

Those are decent numbers. I hate that gas is so expensive. It has really cut back on my road trip plans.

88Wrangles said:
(I have to drive on the freeway a lot, so can't go 55 everywhere like some people!).

That's where I'm fortunate, I guess. I can drive 30 of the 37 miles to work on dirt roads if I wanted to.

Gas prices here dropped again today from $1.93 to $1.89. Wonder how close it'll be to the Memorial Day weekend before they go back up. I read that a major gas pipline ruptured in the Mississippi river this week and dumped several hundred thousand gallons of gas into it. They'll use that for an excuse to raise prices by the weekend.

RE: Gas Tank Leak

Are gas prices went from about $2.56 to about $2.19 yesterday. That made me very happy...I went and filled everything up.

Back