looking to reduce start time... need help as to where to go

dingus

since i got my jeep a couple weeks ago i have yet to start it 'right up'. it always cranks over a few times before starting. i have replaced the battery, spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and fuel filter in an attempt to regain lost power and have it start 'right up'. what else do i need to look at here? or is it perfectly normal for jeeps to not start 'right up'?

-nate

http://dingusXJ.cjb.net[addsig]

Just a thought but I´ve noticed some start better with a couple of pumps on the gas pedal and some start better with no gas pedal. Try just pushing the pedal half way down and then the next time no pedal and then a couple of pumps. Might just have to find the magic formula.[addsig]

have you ever replaced your fuel filter?[addsig]

i thought that pumping the gas pedal only worked on carbeurated cars... but i'll give it a try, ya know?

i just replaced the fuel filter last week. (and i mentioned that in the original post)[addsig]

I know TJ's have weak fuel pumps in them. It takes me about three cranks to get mine started. [addsig]

ok... today when i went out to start it this morning, it took a REALLY long time to start... it seems that the batter/starter are working fine as it spins right up and fast... but it took extra long because it was cold i guess... any clues? problem worsens when its cold?[addsig]

well i decided to play with the idea of playing with the gas pedal while starting it... i held it down half way before turning the key, and then i turned it and let the gas off and quickly floored it and let it off again. it started after two cranks, even while COLD. i'll keep playing around with that... [addsig]

and how would i go about 'checking the fuel pressure "during start and after it's running"?[addsig]

You will need a fuel pressure tester. There should be a fitting on the fuel inlet. Looks like a tire valve stem kinda. hook it up and crak it over. It should be 14-17 psi (not sure on that one). If it is really low, it sounds like a fuel pump going bad. When it is running (with the gauge still hooked) release the pressure on the tester, and let it build up again. That's about it in a nut shell.[addsig]

HEY whats up i have the same problem with my 1990 cherokee 4LITER ive tried fuel filter , plugs, rotor and cap>> UGH ALSO rear seal prob to! good luck bro..If you get some info give me an email.. thanks..
image-missing.png
[addsig]

have you had someone check the starter or the solenoid? Also if it only does it in cold weather, try changing the oil. I've found that using o thicker oil for summer and a lighter oil for winter helps.[addsig]

yeah i'm running mobil-1 synthetic high mileage formula 10w30 oil... what would you recommend? i have 144xxx miles on the original engine...[addsig]

Try 5W30 during the winter. It's thinner when cold and still thick enough at running temps. Then switch back to 10W30 for the summer.[addsig]

ok sounds good... i'm gonna change the oil in about 500 miles anyway... so that works out! thanks...[addsig]

Back