Long time no see... HELP :(

WeRd2UrMuDdEr

Hey guys, my dream has finally come true. I've found the perfect ZJ. 1995, blue, only 60k miles on it, and only 7500 dollars US.
The problem is this. I live in california. This vehicle is located in oregon. Does anyone in california have one that they could give me an idea what i need to look for as far as smog equipment on one? Usually they have a sticker, but the guy said it didn't have a sticker since it wasn't sold in california, which is BS, he didn't even go look at it i'm sure. They should all have a sticker as they come off the assembly line! Its a 4 hour drive, and i'm having someone look at it for me before i make the trip...
worst case scenario is that I buy it and have to sell it just north about 40 minutes in southern oregon. I'd really appreciate any help i can get, this weekend is my last weekend for a trip up for about 3 weeks, so ASAP if you guys can.
sorry its a little long. :) :) :)

edit : Sorry its a 4.0 I6 engine.

74 CJ5 Heater

It'll have a converter and one o2 sensor (before the converter). That's all the smog equipment a non-CA jeep should have come with.

i HATE california smog laws... and i HATE that ny is looking to adopt them... yeah i like the idea of decreasing the output of pollution... but it is very inconvenient, expensive, tedious.... i'm just complaining.. you wont find me buying anything newer than a 95

Bounty__Hunter said:
It'll have a converter and one o2 sensor (before the converter). That's all the smog equipment a non-CA jeep should have come with.
how much other equipment would a CA jeep come with then? Any idea.

where in Oregon is it? Sorry I can't help, but was just curious

siren-2.gif

Uh oh, the sharks are circling your perfect deal!!! :lol:

hahaha, no...I was just curious because I live in Oregon, and not too many people on Jeepz ever speak of this fine state!

88Wrangles said:
hahaha, no...I was just curious because I live in Oregon, and not too many people on Jeepz ever speak of this fine state!
Its in Salem, you live anywhere nearby? I'm only 40 minutes south of the oregon border :oops:

WeRd2UrMuDdEr said:
but the guy said it didn't have a sticker since it wasn't sold in california, which is BS, he didn't even go look at it i'm sure. They should all have a sticker as they come off the assembly line! .

I think only CA has to have a sticker off the assembly line. I know we don't in CT. Don't forget CA has a lot of special restrictions. Can't you just have it inspected? If we bring a car in from out of state it needs a VIN & exauhst sampling for an emissions sticker for CT if it's between 4 and 25 years old.

Ritt said:
WeRd2UrMuDdEr said:
but the guy said it didn't have a sticker since it wasn't sold in california, which is BS, he didn't even go look at it i'm sure. They should all have a sticker as they come off the assembly line! .

I think only CA has to have a sticker off the assembly line. I know we don't in CT. Don't forget CA has a lot of special restrictions. Can't you just have it inspected? If we bring a car in from out of state it needs a VIN & exauhst sampling for an emissions sticker for CT if it's between 4 and 25 years old.
The sticker usually says "CATALYST FEDERAL" "CATALYST FEDERAL AND CANADA" or "CATALYST CALIFORNIA"

I can't just have it tested, the closest place is a 1 hour drive each direction, i doubt they're going to let me take it that far. Portland's Emissions are exactly the same as California. I'm sure a lot of other bigger cities have the same ones as us.

WeRd2UrMuDdEr said:
88Wrangles said:
Its in Salem, you live anywhere nearby? I'm only 40 minutes south of the oregon border :oops:

I live in Eugene, about 60 miles south of Salem.

Double WHAT ?

88Wrangles said:
WeRd2UrMuDdEr said:
88Wrangles said:

I live in Eugene, about 60 miles south of Salem.
wish i would have known that before, i'd have had to asked a favor of you to go check it out for me before i drive 4 hours :blink:
too late now though, if i don't go this weekend i won't make it up until after christmas.
:(

2002 TJ SE FOR SALE

ya I definatly would have done that for you. I go up to Corvallis all the time (including this weekend) to hang out with friends at OSU anyways, so it would have been no big deal.

RE: Hey, Terry!

WeRd2UrMuDdEr said:
how much other equipment would a CA jeep come with then? Any idea.
I've seen some with an o2 sensor for every cylinder, i don't know if they're all like that.

Re: RE: HowdyHo!

Simple solution: Move to Kansas. It may be mostly flat, but we got some good hills and mud, and we can chop off the cat converter and drop the smog pump and nobody cares.

RE: Hey, Terry!

I sure am glad to live up here in these hil where I can relax when home and not worry about such things as smog laws ect.... tug

RE: 85 cj7 4wheel question

California used to have a stupid law that made any none California emission equiped vehicle pay a $300 fee for registering them here. Fortunatly they found this to be unconstitional a few years ago. I brought in a pickup from out of state with federal emissions. The only requirement that is all emissions equipment that come with the vehicle when it was made either federal or california is still on the vehicle and works. So if your find is federal emission equiped it must pass the federal emissions not California tests although they will still test on the dyno if your county tests like this county.

ROGLSTUBB said:
California used to have a stupid law that made any none California emission equiped vehicle pay a $300 fee for registering them here. Fortunatly they found this to be unconstitional a few years ago. I brought in a pickup from out of state with federal emissions. The only requirement that is all emissions equipment that come with the vehicle when it was made either federal or california is still on the vehicle and works. So if your find is federal emission equiped it must pass the federal emissions not California tests although they will still test on the dyno if your county tests like this county.
yeah thats what i found after doing quite a bit of reading on the subject. Unfortunately I'm now a traitor as the jeep was not worth 7500 at all even with the low miles. Broken motor mount and leaking rear end, probably all coinciding with a number of other problems that weren't apparent with a couple of test drives. Right next door was a great deal on a nice blue 97 chevy blazer with only 87,000 miles on it, and asking 9995 for it. Why such a good deal you might ask? Brand new engine with only 1500 miles on it. I wouldn't take the dealer's word on that, they actually had paperwork and warantee to back that up. So here i am with a 97 blazer with 10,500 mile warantee left on the engine. No such luck with the rest of the parts, but who's complaining with a used car :D

On a side note, this is the first vehicle purchase i've really made... i bought my pickup years ago with the assistance of my parents but i only paid like 900 bucks for it myself, so i wouldn't really call that a purchase. After dealing with the salesman today, i've learned so much about those idiots. Precisely that. Idiots. They pretend like the people they are talking to have no clue about a vehicle. I got in that jeep and the first thing i noticed was at a stop and low rpm's the car vibrated a lot. The salesman told me that was just because they are parked for so long, and the cold weather and moisture in the air. "They get a lot of moisture buildup inside of them when they sit for a long time in cold weather." So when we got back we braked the car in gear, and mashed on the gas pedal and sure enough the engine was flopping to the passenger side of the car. This also after he was telling us how closely they go through these used vehicles to make sure they run great. How the hell do you miss a broken motor mount :?: :roll:
So anyway, I told the guy "well the blazer looks nice but i came up here to spend 7500 bucks on a jeep. If I can't get this for 7500 i'm going to go look somewhere else" He came back with a counter offer of 7875, so i figure from 9995 to 7875... not too bad eh? 8)

edit : Link
http://www.getauto.com/autolinks_cardetail.html?x_dealer_id=AADhq&vinNum=1GNDT13W0V2177746
Next step : Lift kit (it needs new tires anyway, so why not :D )

So anyway, I told the guy "well the blazer looks nice but i came up here to spend 7500 bucks on a jeep. If I can't get this for 7500 i'm going to go look somewhere else" He came back with a counter offer of 7875, so i figure from 9995 to 7875... not too bad eh? 8)

edit : Link
http://www.getauto.com/autolinks_cardetail.html?x_dealer_id=AADhq&vinNum=1GNDT13W0V2177746
Next step : Lift kit (it needs new tires anyway, so why not :D )

Maybe...maybe not. I work at the largest car dealership in Wichita, and sell both new and used cars. If they put a motor in it, they probably bought it for $500 or less and spent $2500 on the motor install, so they probably owned it for $3000 and made $4875 off of you. If they traded for it after the motor was put in, they probably put $1500 into it and made $6375 off of you. Believe me, they wouldn't lose money on the deal. At any rate, you probably got yourself a decent vehicle for a decent price, and the salesman is able to feed his family for another month, so yeah......it was a good deal!!

Our average profit margin on a used vehicle is $2000, on a new one more like $1500. I make an average of $500 per vehicle I sell, after pack and hold back. I am sometimes too honest with the customers when it comes to used cars and trucks. I always make a point of pointing out the flaws in the cars I'm selling, because I would rather them know up front so they don't come in later and kill me. Word of mouth on a bad car deal is more effective than any advertising. I want my customers to come back and buy again. So far, I haven't had a dissatisfied customer!

Back