Lockers...

Hey I own a 95 yj and just recently had a suspension lift of 3.5 inches and an additional 1.25 inch shackle lift in the front to level it out. It rides on 33 12.50 MT's now as well. I was just wanting some advice on some lockers. I don't have the money for ARB lockers, so I was looking for something that is tough, but cheap. I don't think I am satisfied with the "Limited slip" differentials either. Any suggestions?[addsig]

well there are a couple things to bring into consideration when purchasing lockers. If most of your miles are logged on roads and your jeep is a daily driver I would opt for the ARB, which i have) or the Ox-Trax Lockers. If you drive your jeep on the street at all you are most likely going to need a selectable locker of some sort. If you never drive your jeep on the road i would go with the tried and true Deroit Locker. Hope this helps![addsig]

Check out the:
  • LockRight
  • EZ Locker
  • Powertrax No-Slip
which are all lunch-box type lockers, meaning you replace your spiders in your stock differential with these lockers. Saves major $$ in locker expense and from having to have the ring & pinion professionally setup on a new diff. These lockers will give the positive engagement you are looking for, and run under $300 each.

I'm pretty cheap, so I run Lincoln Lockers :-D in the front and rear of my '95 YJ. I have the 4banger with stock axles, and these lockers have not let me down. Total cost: about 3 hours time and some time with a friends welder. The rear Lincoln Locker is predictable on the road, no unexpected lane changes or quirkiness you get from part-time lockers, just the tell-tale tire squeel from the inside tire on sharp turns.

I installed a manual vacuum switch to control the front passenger side axle disconnect. This allows me to hit 3wd on the trail to make tight turns easier.

This isn't for everybody, as it will drive relatively poorly on ice and snow, even rain-slicked roads, if you don't know what you are doing. If you stay off the skinny in the curves, you'll do just fine. Rear tire wear will also increase slightly.

It works for me, but it may not work for everybody :-D [addsig]

Someone one time told me, and this might be a sub-urban legend, that you don't need to add a locker, all you have to do is weld the spider gear together. I would like to know if someone else has more info on this?[addsig]

Someone one time told me, and this might be a sub-urban legend, that you don't need to add a locker, all you have to do is weld the spider gear together.

Yup, commonly called Lincoln Lockers. [addsig]

Someone one time told me, and this might be a sub-urban legend, that you don't need to add a locker, all you have to do is weld the spider gear together. I would like to know if someone else has more info on this?

Um, that would be a Lincoln Locker :-O Read my post above :cool: [addsig]

I have a 1989 YJ 4.2 that has over the years been upgraded to crawl in the rocks on weekends and freeway drive Monday thru Friday by myself and other family members. My original thought was to install Dana 44's with Detroit's, ARB's or Ox lockers. Concerns about drivability, also the cost, skill, tools and time it took to do the install were on my mind. A fellow Jeeper suggested a Lok-Right in the front and a Power-Trax in the rear. He used them on his Jeep without any complaints. Looking further, I noticed many forum comments about breakage and dissatisfaction. I found most comments were made by people that "Heard" they were bad, (He said, she said, but never tried themselves. Some had never even Jeeped or were even old enough to drive) and usually the problems were not the actual locker but other (weak link) parts that failed. The lockers seemed to be fine. With that said, I found a Lok-Right and Power-Trax sitting (new) in the garage of another Jeeper with financial problems (didn’t surprise me) and bought them cheap. I installed them in my stock 30 and 35 axles thinking this will be my best test, I'm not out very much money, I can always remove them and resell and I'm going to install Dana 44's anyway, so let's try them out. That was 4+ years and many on and off road miles ago (without any problems at all). The nice part was the install was simple and the price was right. Others driving my Jeep don’t even know they are there. Freeway, dirt, snow, sand, rocks and mud, they have worked as advertised.

Conclusion:
Would I install them again? Yes.
Would I benefit by installing other lockers? Not the way I use my Jeep.
If I had the extra cash, would I change to Detroit’s, ARB's or Ox lockers? Probably not.
Have I found a trail I couldn't run because of these lockers? No.
If I used this Jeep solely for off road and no one else drove it on the street, would I upgrade? Probably to go with the strength of a Dana 44 or 60.
[addsig]

IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE MONEY FOR ARB OR OX..I WOULD GO WITH A DETRIOT LOCKER.I HAD ONE IN THE REAR FOR MANY YEARS AND HAD NO PROBLEMS...I WOULD NOT USE ANY OTHER LOCKER (TRUE TRAX,EZ,TRAK LOCK)THEY ARE CHEAP FOR A REASON...... :evil:

edited by: Gspotracing, Mar 15, 2003 - 01:56 AM[addsig]

Gspotracing:
What type of Jeep are you running?
I have read your post and I am always willing to listen and learn.
What facts do you have to back up your strong statement?
You seemed to be pretty convinced that anything except ARB, OX or Detroit is unacceptable. I ran the Power-Trax and Lok-Rights' for a test that has continued 4+ years, and cost is not the factor staying with this setup. John Bull to Moab without any problems seems a pretty good test so far. I have also crawled with many others that say the same. Ironically. Most failures we have encountered on the trail have been those name brand lockers or associated parts. I absolutely agree that ARB, OX and Detroit build a nice product. But lunch box lockers do have a place in the 4wd world and I would hate to see someone not enjoy off roading locked just because the thought it was unaffordable. Price does not always mean quality and driving does not mean your good.

By the way: POSTING IN ALL CAPITALS IS YELLING AND NOT REAL NICE. :) [addsig]

MORRGSTER,BRO RELAX.THAT IS MY OPINION.I'VE OWNED AND RAN WITH FRIENDS WITH THESE MECHANICAL LIMITED SLIPS AND CLUTCH LIMITED SLIPS AND I DO NOT LIKE THEM.A DETRIOT LOCKER IS NOT MUCH MORE AND IT WILL PERFORM.I AM NOT YELLING.I WAS VERY SUPRISED THAT SOMEONE WOULD ATTACK ME OVER MY OPINION,WHO AM I????????????I'M JUST A WHEELER. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

edited by: Gspotracing, Mar 22, 2003 - 03:14 PM[addsig]

hey bounty , i also am cheap. and i have a welder. am interested in the lincoln locker, could you give a little more detail as far as welding the spider gear. dont have a clue as how to aproach this .a little guidance please. .......odax :cool: [addsig]

you can weld them up its not real hard but if the weld breaks your looking at some big bucks and you should have gone ahead and bought a locker by that time.....I have the spider gears welded on the front of my cj-5 but I can unlock the hubs I wouldn't personally weld up the rear lots of problems but if you want more info I can help you............ :-D [addsig]

Make sure whomever welds the spiders has a LOT of experience and/or has done Lincoln Lockers before. Load up the metal between the spiders. You can weld the spiders to the case, but that precludes replacing the spiders should anything break.[addsig]

Back