Lifting an '87 Cherokee 3", have some questions

fourtwenty

Hi, I'm finally planning on lifting my 87 XJ a few inches. I've found a good deal on a 3" lift kit from rough country. It includes front coil springs and add-a-leafs. I don't really plan on doing any off-roading with it, I have my CJ for that stuff :). My question is, do I really need anything else to do this? I was talking to a custopm jeep shop and they were trying to sell me the $1000 kit that includes extended brake lines, new lower control arms yadda yadda yadda..

What do you guys think? Keep in mind this will probably never see any off-road action, I just want to put bigger tires on it..

What sorts of things will I have to do once the lift is complete? WIll I need to do an alignment or anything else?

I appreciate any insight or experiences you can provide. [addsig]

I put 2.5" spacers on the front coils and on the rear on my xj and drove it for a long time radical offroad to interstate, the guy I sold it to a year later is still driving, with no alignment or brake line issues, however, the brake lines were pushing it at full articulation, and the steering was slightly less precise. I wouldn't say you need the brake lines if you promise to never go offroad in it, but then if you sell it, the next guy might assume its "set up" and get stranded with no brakes. The longer control arms will definately help the steering geometry.[addsig]

the guys at rustys' offroad told me even for just street driving, i won't benefit enough from new control arms to make the price worthwhile. i installed a 3" suspension lift on my XJ (with the complete rear spring packs, not just AAL's because they were sagged, i'd imagine yours are too) and it drives great. it was even aligned until i smashed it into a curb when i was playin' in the snow :) lol

ah yes, i almost forgot to mention. i have a whole write-up on this project on my website: http://dingus.tqhosting.com (in the tech section)

-nate

edited by: dingus, Apr 23, 2003 - 06:34 PM[addsig]

Back