Letter to Car and Driver

PASmokeater

Finally got around to sending that letter to Car and Driver. Here is what I sent, and I'll keep you posted on what, if anything, happens next.

Rob
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png

I just wanted to drop you a line regarding an episode of your show. My name is Rob McKinnell, and I live in Bensalem, PA.

The episode I'm referring to, is the one in which you reviewed the Hummer H2. I'm writing to let you know, that there are more than a few people who disagree with your opinion, and that we feel kind of left out of you magazines prestigious following.

The following link is of a post on a web sight of which I am a regular contributor.

http://www.jeepz.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB_14&file=index&action=viewtopic&topic=313839&11

I was wondering, since I only watch your show, and am willing to admit to some ignorance, if you've ever put the H2 up against a member of the Wrangler family. You seem to think that "the H2 is the most capable off road vehicle.", and while I'll admit that in size, interior space, power, and status symbol, the H2 does surpass the Jeep, I think this remark is way off base. The Jeep is by far superior in an off road situation.

Just a note to let you know that I think your wrong. We all are entitled to our opinions, I'd just like to see somebody give an actual "ultimate off road vehicle" a fair shake.

Rob McKinnell [addsig]

You tell em smoke. Dog gone it anyway the ol dollar hungry rag will say anything for a price! Tug
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Rob, you might find this funny.

I was out wheelin this weekend and had to pull an H2 out of a mud bog. I made it through (this time
image-missing.png
) and the H2 was right behind me and got bogged down in the mud. I backed up, hooked it with my chain, and pulled him right out with my 4 banger TJ. Ultimate off road machine MY A$$.[addsig]

wow there was actually an H2 offroading! nice work showin whos boss[addsig]

I sure hope you got pics of that one. I would still be ragging him about that one... ou get a gold star as far as ol Tug goes. Get yourself a sticker for the back of that 4 banger that says H2 Recovery Jeep! Wish I could have been there. Made my day Tug
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

If only you had two of them,then you could throw them both away.lol,Sully
image-missing.png
[addsig]

At half the cost the Rubicon I'm sure would more than double the H2's off road performace, and have twice the looks. The H2 is just an beefed up suburban chassis that is over priced and ugly. GM is all about F**king things up write now. They take a sweet rig like a Hummer and turn it into a ugly overpriced imitation and the drop the F-body.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

that is NOT a good replacement for the F-Body... BAD MOVE[addsig]

Here's a question:

have they stopped production on the original hummers, and switched over to the H2 or are they making both?[addsig]

Both are still in production...they just took advantage of an overactive SUV lovin' society and are making a $h!tlo@d...good for them. I'll never buy one. If I had that kind of dough to liquidate on a vehicle, I'd get a used version of the original.[addsig]

i think that they stopped production on the H1 (i dont know why, that was a real Hummer) ive seen over 100 H2 driving around town and the only H1 is see are use for promtional vehicles for company's and one privately own H1 every once in awhile, so i guess that they would make more money if they only produced the H2's .

H2 isnt an offroad vehile, its a SUV!!!
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

The guy that runs a Jeep website called webejeepin.com has pulled Hummer's out of places they've gotten stuck in. I think Hummer's are WAY over rated and I've never met a polite Hummer owner. They all seem to think they are the shiznet. One time I was at a 7-11 and a hummer pulls up and the guy gets out. I smile and say, "Cool hummer, where'd you get it?" This was back when they first came out to the public. He looks at me and as snotty as possible he says, "The military". This thing was as far from a military issue vehicle as can be! I spit out my soda as I laughed at him and said, "When did the military put leather in there vehicles?", and got some of it on his bumper. He freaked and told me to wipe it up. I laughed again and said, "It's an off-road vehicle, it should be dirty." A guy in my office building, here, has one and has it detailed every week. I've also seen about 20 H2's in Albuquerque. I think they're too big to do any good off-roading in. I wouldn't mind driving one in moab but not in the woods.

And to all those people that have the "When I grow up I want to be a Hummer" sticker on their Jeep, SELL YOUR JEEP YOU TRAITORS![addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>

And to all those people that have the "When I grow up I want to be a Hummer" sticker on their Jeep, SELL YOUR JEEP YOU TRAITORS!</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I second that statement. To those who have that sticker I give you the evil stare
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I agree with that statement as well, but the Hummers do have planetary drive which is very nice and creates a lot of ground clearance as well, also has totally independant suspension which again is nice. (This is of course the real military hummers, not the painsy civilian models.) Also, with the deep-fording kit the Hummers can drive through up to 60" of water. Tell me that isn't bad-a$$!!!! I would love to own a TRUE hummer, but would also rather spend my money on my Jeep!!![addsig]

hey BBJ... why don't you go join the army and ride in hummers, you PJ rider[addsig]

Back