leaf spring lift blocks...tell me what you think

scout

2000 cherokee sport with a skyjacker shackle lift, 2''. came with replacement shocks and front spring spacer and of course..extended shackles...i have a set of 3'' leafspring lift blocks sitting in the garage...the urge to put them to use is great..i need new leaf springs cause these are sagging a little.what are the consequences of putting these on?what do i have to pay attention to as far as drive line and suspension,steering? need as much info as you can throw at me

Most people will say not to use them because they cause axle wrap and can come out and even worse break. I run one that is 1.5" and is made out of solid aluminum and the solid steel ones seem fine. 3" is a little much but trucks run much bigger ones and do OK. You'll need longer u bolts and check them often for the first few months. As long as its not a hardcore trail rig or you like doing burnouts u joints should be fine. A better option is a ******* pack with S10 or Dakota leaves.

thanks xjmarc these are steel they came with some ubolts,it is my daily driver and dosent get to see mud or trails as often as i like. so you are saying i probably dont need to drop my transfer case? thats a fear driving down the road and woops.btw admiring your rig very nice.

im still thinking about this, i would hate for my driveshaft to fall out or well ya never know...is there another truck that has coil springs that will fit a cherokee with another inch or two lift that i can pick up at a bone yard?just for front to rear leveling purposes?

Older F150s and Broncos but it'll make it ride like a tank.

You need to lower the transfer case on a 2000 XJ with any amount of lift, anywhere from 1/2" to 1" drop to take out the vibes.

You're opening a can of worms by adding to your current front spacer lift unless you install longer control arms or the drop bracket kit for the control arm mounts.

thanks guys, i think im gonna just save for a new lift instead of piece mealing it. was trying to use up stuff i had laying around. curious about dropping the transfer case tho. i thought it was any lift over 3" ? i think i have a 2.5

so i was looking at the transfer drop kits on line, it looks like square steel tube with the proper holes drilled, seems streightforward enough... no reason why i couldnt make one right?

I made my own for my '98 XJ I once owned. Took some 1/2" thick bar stock and cut 2 pieces about 6" long, or the width of the crossmember. Drill 2 holes and you're done with the spacer. Use a pipe wrench to remove the 2 studs from the psuedoframe and install the spacers with 4 longer bolts.

So you have no vibes with your current lift? Unusual on a '97+ XJ.

so i was looking at the transfer drop kits on line, it looks like square steel tube with the proper holes drilled, seems streightforward enough... no reason why i couldnt make one right?

If you're interested I can look in my garage, I may have a TJ transmission drop that came with my lift kit (that I didn't use).

Terry, they're completely different. XJ only needs spacers about 6" long.

nice, should save 40$ right? thank you any way Terry. the only difference i noticed was after i put 31" tires was an extra whine in the idle,but there is no rubbing. or shaking..thank you so much

Last edited:
This is what I have. If you think it will work then you are welcome to it.

Its a rough country drop. Part number 1654bg1

Sent from my DROID2 using the Jeepz.com app

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110712_133707.png
    ForumRunner_20110712_133707.png
    610.8 KB · Views: 816

how much are you looking to get Terry?even if i couldnt get them on the xj,i have a 89 yj in the garage for restoration and modification that they would be useful.

f 150 coils would work but would be real stiff
dakota coils work also grand cherokee coils also s-10 coils

FYI S10s don't have coils, think they meant the leaves for a ******* pack, Dakota leaves work well for this too. ZJ front coil springs on a V8 will give an inch at best, the 4L versions are the same as XJ coils.

Back