Knocking sound coming from the head once shut off.

Beach_Jeep

My 81 CJ7 has the 258 inline 6. After running it even for a minute or so the motor will knock. Is this normal with a plastic valve cover? If not, what are your thoughts?
Thanks guys,

Beach Jeep

The term "knock" can be very subjective. A hard knocking sound could be a broken main bearing which is allowing your crankshaft to move up and down - not good. But a knock that is more like a ticking sound could be a stuck lifter which could be cured with an oil change. If you're not sure I'd take it to someone trustworthy and let them have a listen.

Scott

My motor has a "knock" once the motor is turned off. It is not a real loud knock and continues for about a minute or so once the motor is off. It sounds like it is coming from the head area.

Deerhunter30 said:
My motor has a "knock" once the motor is turned off. It is not a real loud knock and continues for about a minute or so once the motor is off. It sounds like it is coming from the head area.
Thats all of the hot metal in your motor cooling down.

Yep, thats what mine is doing also. Its sounds like its coming from the valve cover. Knocks for about 1-2minutes and then stops.

Back