Kinda Funny

MerkL

Yeah, last night I was changing my brakes on the YJ, and my dad came to see what I was doing. Well, I talked him into doing one side for me :twisted: So I finished up, and was going over to my girlfriends house, and I start to hear a loud rattling noise. I start to slow down, and hit a light marker, that divides the lanes, and it gets very loud. I'm coming to a stop, and looking out my window, and I see my rear drivers side tire coming off, and I watch my tire roll by me, while I stop! I thought that was something I only saw on movies. It pissed me off, b/c it was the tire my dad put on, and didn't tighten the lug nuts. No major damage though. Moral of the story, don't take others work for granted, even families work, always double check!

man..scary stuff. So..the wheel fell off the axle? and ya dropped?

the wheel just loosened the nuts off, and wobbled its way to the edge, and off. I only rolled about 5 or 6 feet on the drum. I just walked up the road, found my lug nuts, took out the hi-lift(glad I got that) jacked it up, put the tire back on, and continued on my escapade.

Thats sucks man. Well at least you have a story to tell about having a wheel fall off.

DAMN! thats crazy man. lol i would have been scared as hell. i want a hi-lift now...

Tell me you at least got some good sparks out of it.
I had to drive my old CJ out of the woods on three wheels one time (thanks to lockers front and rear). I broke a Moser one piece axle shaft on the old Model 20. I don't know if you are aware but when you break one of those you are left with nothing but drums to ride on. I got a ride out and went to a friends house about 15 miles away to borrow a trailer and he hooked me up with a sheet of stainless steel he had lying around. It was about a foot wide and 3 feet long. He drilled a hole at the top and bottom of it and gave me a ratchet strap. When I got back to the Jeep I jacked it up and put the sheet under the drum and then ran the ratchet strap through the shackle on one side and the spring hanger on the other. I put the hooks in the holes he had drilled then tightened the strap. It bent up and around the drum to make a skid. I drove it out of the trail and across a highway to the awaiting trailer. It wasn't funny at the time but is now. Where are those pictures I had....

Back