Kick down cable

Jewel

From what I understand is my 1988 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4 x 4, 4.0, 6 cylinder has a AW4 transmission ? My kick down cable is shredding and I have had to park it until repaired.I went to 4 auto parts stores only to have them tell me I do not have a kick down cable, but a lever of some kind. I finally got one of the employees to agreed to see the one like mine on his browser. He agreed I have a kick down cable , TV cable etc. He also tells me that I will have to order it online. I have gone to Pioneer and looked at a number of them. My jeep has an adjuster on one end (cable) a plastic thumb size you push in and use your kick down button/pedal to adjust from inside the jeep. I have followed the cable which is inside a tube of rubber over my transmission but I am not sure if I have the correct area. I can not find exactly the length I see 25.7 in, 47 in etc. Can some one guide me to fix my issue. My Jeep may have been built in Canada.

Thank you, Jewel

All the cables i find are 92 inches. This is from rockauto.com

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240811_165440_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240811_165440_Chrome.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 49
There is one very long cable that appears to run almost the underage of the jeep, over the transmission toward the very back. I think what bothered me was the pictures online. I thought my end looked different to me. I will crawl under it tomorrow and follow it out and check out how to unhook it.

The information you sent was very helpful.

I will get back to you and thank you for the reassurance.

Jewel

if i remember right, it goes from the throttle body across the valve cover and then curves down along the transmission bell housing to the kickdown lever.

Thank you for writing to me. Today was scary as I had no rig to save myself from a wildfire that broke out today about stone throw close. Thank you all who fought the Daisy/Rice fire today. As I live 20 miles from town in the mountains.
I followed the cable down as you suggested and came across the valve cover under and over and found where the cable ended. It ended on the driver side of the transmission. The problem I had was looking for the right part.I have gone to rock auto as well as other auto places online. The 29.99 that you sent in a picture with others looks like mine. The problem I have in searching for the part is the length. I see what looks like mine.However, it is not going to work as the length seems to be around 25-27 inches long. Jeep Cherokee XJ 87-01 AW4 Transmission Automatic kick down cable. I took a string and measured the best I could and I came up with approx. 55 inches. Although I am sure it measure a little less. Is it possible to find any more help on locating one to fit?

Very grateful, Jewel

the length won't be a problem, other than having some excess in the engine bay. it slides in the sheathing once the sheathing is attached the transmission and valve cover brackets. once you hook the cable end to the kickdown arm and push that button on the throttle body side and slide the tb arm fully open and closed so its sets the cable length, you will be good.

also, see if you bring your vin to the dealership, can they pull the diagram for you with the part number so you can just search it by part number?

i know what pain that cable is. my son's 03 wrangler shift cable has shredded on us a few times. what a pain in the butt to find a good one that fits properly

oh man, i wonder if someone put a wrangler kick down cable on your cherokee? the routing is the same and the hook ups should be the same. maybe that is why yours seems so short?

Thank you for writing. I was looking at calling Dishman in Spokane that also deals with Jeeps. It's funny that you speak about a wrangler kick down cable. The book manual they gave me when I bought the jeep ages ago came with a Wrangler manual. I live 100 miles from the closest big city. This is Spokane WA. I was looking at Dishman that includes Jeeps here.

Well, they seem to carry newer type Jeeps and nothing online but the end of one of these cables. I thought about calling them today. However, I think you're telling me that I could look under Wrangler? I followed that rubber tubing and measured as close as I could. I know I can give or take a little. I came up with 55 inches or less. I see that there are other rigs that have longer detent cables but do not fit mine. The issue is that I live far out in the mountains and receiving the wrong part through mail is very discouraging. I will look into Wrangler's fit and I hope this may be the answer.

Thank you once again.
Jewel

Oh, yes there is a rubber type cable that runs from front to back that appears to be about 92 inches long or so. However, there is nothing wrong with this cable that I can see. If this is what you are referring to? If not, sorry. Jewel

on your throttle body, you have two cables connected? or three? laredo should have three since its a higher trim

1st: accelerator cable from the gas pedal inside the jeep. should be short

2nd: kick down cable to the transmission. should be longer

3rd: cruise control cable. should go to a little black motor in the engine bay.

1723825325837.png

the black cable just above the yellow oil cap on hte valve cover is the one you are talking about? that should be your kick down

Thank you so much for your information. I took it out today. It measured 55 inches. I have found one that measured 59 inches (Crown Automotive). However, it is from a 92 I think. . . because I never found one to fit my 1988. It has the same ends measures a little long though.

I thought I would look around online to possible locate a 55 inch. If not I think I am going to purchase the only one I found that had possibilities for me PN 52077578.

Thanks once again, Jewel

Back