just replaced my front sway bar bushings (XJ)

dingus

I noticed that my jeep would give a loud hard clunk when i steered it over ‘straight’, (center, whatever you wanna call it) and i was scared that it was something in my steering box, but it turned out to be otherwise. i looked at the front sway bar one day, wondering how i was gonna make quick disconnects (homemade style!) and i noticed that the outside links’ bushings were all squashed and the washers were rattling around under the loose nuts. There was about half an inch of play in the whole assembly for the sway bar to clunk on, so i made a trip to the Foster Kardane (5-star jeep dealer) and picked up all new bushings and washers ($28). upon returning home, (without even removing the wheels) i proceeded to remove the two nuts (one on each side of the car) and pulled the top washer and bushing off as well. then i tapped the sway bar and it popped right up and out of the way. next, i took out the remaining old bushings and washers. reassembly was reverse of above, and for some reason THIS INSTALL PROJECT TOOK LESS THAN 10 MINUTES! usually all my projects take several hours to several days to complete, but this one was a snap. something must be wrong, i’m getting a funny feeling about this one
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Thanks for the post good info for the future! Tug[addsig]

Sounds easy. I hope its that easy for my YJ. I just found out a couple weeks ago I have the same problem with the front sway bar bushings. They are not quite as bad as yours were but they are cracked and starting to crumble
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back