Junked the Jack, but now what?

Joopin

Super Moderator

I just installed a new set of horns for my YJ and to have them symetrical on each side of the inner fender I took out the stock jack with accessories... The jack didn't work anyways, and the rachet type tire iron was a joke. What were they thinking anyways? A scissor jack for a jeep? Give me a break! ANYWAYS... Now I have this big empty spot under my hood on the pass. side fender. I was thinking of putting something there... I saw that they sell a security box in quadratec that fits in that exact spot but I was wondering if and what fellow jeepers have put there? I plan on putting a Hi-Lift Jack mounted to my bumper once I finish fabbin' it up. [addsig]

hmm... how bout you mount a birdhouse there or something? :)[addsig]

I have an ammo box that I'm gonna find room under my hood for. I figure with a hood lock, and a lock on the box, I'll be able to keep the top off and my things safe without having to carry them all in my pockets.

Rob :p :cool: :) [addsig]

Ammo box would be cool. I bought two of the 50 Cal. boxes at a discount shop. I painted them and bought the inside organizer trays from cheaperthandirt.com for like 8 bucks for 3 trays. They are water tight and pretty rugged. Good luck.

edited by: Jeep#3, Apr 22, 2003 - 11:12 PM[addsig]

that could be a great place for a manifold, gauge, and tool storage for onboard air[addsig]

How about a dual battery kit, and an arb air compressor to power front and rear locking diff's.[addsig]

Actually, the scissor jack is not at all useless. The small scissor can get under and do it's thing, when sometimes the high-lift can't be used. Believe it not, there are people that actually look for them.! In a pinch, I'm sure you could make the thing work. Perhaps not with the ratcheting handle, but something. Yes, a high lift is a much more usefull tool, (portable 8000 pound winch) lifting device, Tire bead seater, to name a few, but until you have it, you should hold on to the stock stuff. Sure as "you know what" when you don't have it, your gonna need it!

edited by: jprtroy, Apr 23, 2003 - 01:39 PM[addsig]

Those are some good suggestions... I remembered a post talking about "on board air" from a modified air conditioning unit... I don't have it but I also heard that you can convert something else into onboard air... I just can't remember what it was! Anyway, if I ever do find out what it is i was thinking of putting a small holding tank there... if one that small would acually help that is. Oh and I didn't totally toss the jack Jprtroy, its just not mounted and sitting behind the rear seat. [addsig]

ive got an ammo box on the other side where the air box used to be, holds jumper cables and a few tow straps...
reggie[addsig]

i mounted msd ignition control wher the jack was. one of the best upgrades i have put in my jeep. pretty simple install 2.[addsig]

I actually put a small "tool" box with a small air compressor, tow rope, and some other necessities. I have been wondering about that storage box that they sell. Wonder if it's worth the cash.[addsig]

Back