Jeep windshields weak?

Just curious, but has anyone had problems with YJ windshields being weak? I just replaced mine for the second time in as many months. First time it cracked when the wind ripped off my soft-top. This time it was a tiny hailstone. Both were in the same spot, lower edge right in the center.

If you see this:

C44-2.jpg

And this:

T4-2.jpg

Ya best just turn around and go the other way!!! I'm a trained weather spotter for the NWS, so I had to keep going to keep other people safe. That's pretty much why I got whacked with hail. But I've been in much worse and larger hailstorms and never got so much as a few dents. BTW, I didn't get any dents from this hail, just a broken windshield. And I was sitting still when the hail stone hit, so it wasn't like it hit with the added force of me driving fast. At $120 a pop for deductible, I don't know if I can afford to keep replacing windshields every month. And in Kansas, you get a ticket for a cracked windshield ($150 fine), so it's cheaper to fix them, but not by much.

Any thoughts?

They make a shatter-proof windshield for Jeeps, but of course it's not DOT compliant....bummer. I wish I could think of anything else. Best O' luck and be careful out there!

Starter ring and starter teeth

I just replaced my windsheild two weeks ago when I made the stupid mistake of forgetting to latch my hood down. I drove away and up went the hood right into the windsheild. Totaled my hood and the windshield was completley smashed. Seems every time I replace my windsheild on any vehicle I've ever owned, within a week I'll have at least one rock chip then I won't get another one for the next year or two until I need a new windshield. Happens every time. Just got my first (and hopefully only) rock chip yesterday in my new windshield.

Tie Rod

I've had my windshield replaced on my wrangler. I was driving down the highway and not even kidding, a bug put a chip in the thing. My theory is that jeep windshields are so flat that things just hit them harder or something. I think it's more the bad angle than the weakness of the glass itself.

Jeep (XJ) service in CO Springs?

Windshield breakage is aided by the stress put on the glass from a bent frame. It may be possible that with high wind you are pushing on the frame hard enough to put an increased amount of pressure on the glass. Then when something hits it "pop"!
If I were in the storm chasing business, I think I would have to rig up a piece of expanded metal (steel or aluminum) and some brackets to cover the windshield when the weather is going to get rough. Make some upper brackets on the windshield frame where they stick out from under the bikini channel and coming off the hinge bolts on the lower side. Then when the weather gets nasty, pull over real quick and pull the screen out from behind the seat. Lay it up there and use some bolts like your windshield knobs to attach it. Make a frame out of some small angle iron (or aluminum) to make it more rigid. Make sure your brackets will give enough clearance with the screen installed to operate the wipers.
Then when the bad weather is over, put it back behind the seat and proceed. You may get some looks, but there shouldn't be anything illegal about that.

Re: 4.0 and 4.2

I've had every vehicle I've owned for the last 8 years get a chip or crack in the windshield. that's what highway driving in Maryland does for ya. They repave roads every other stinkin' year. Man somebody's gettin' rich off us taxpayers!!!

Craig said:
I just replaced my windsheild two weeks ago when I made the stupid mistake of forgetting to latch my hood down. I drove away and up went the hood right into the windsheild. Totaled my hood and the windshield was completley smashed. Seems every time I replace my windsheild on any vehicle I've ever owned, within a week I'll have at least one rock chip then I won't get another one for the next year or two until I need a new windshield. Happens every time. Just got my first (and hopefully only) rock chip yesterday in my new windshield.

haha... that sure would have made a great video clip.

Mines been cracked for about three years, and is the original!

redrooster said:
If I were in the storm chasing business, I think I would have to rig up a piece of expanded metal (steel or aluminum) and some brackets to cover the windshield when the weather is going to get rough.

Problem with that is I need as much view of the sky as possible, and unless I put it up when I leave home, there usually isn't enough time to stop and put up any kind of shield like that when the hail starts.

I don't know why this hailstone cracked it...it came almost straight down and I wasn't moving, so it was really a very glancing blow, unless somehow it bounced off the wiper arm. But still, I'd think the wiper arm would have taken a lot of the energy out of the thing, if not completely broken it to pieces.

My wife has the same problem as was mentioned earlier with her windshield. She gets a chip so we have a guy come fix it (insurance pays full $45 charge because it's cheaper than a new windshield). Two days later she gets another chip. We can let it go forever and no more chips. As soon as we decide to fix it, same thing....two days later another chip!

TwistedCopper said:
I've had every vehicle I've owned for the last 8 years get a chip or crack in the windshield. that's what highway driving in Maryland does for ya. They repave roads every other stinkin' year. Man somebody's gettin' rich off us taxpayers!!!

Every year its more like bi-monthly look at rossville blvd its repaved every 6 months but after tehy finish repaving it they tear up the road to fix pipes then have to repave again

On the windsheid thing TJ's seem pretty strong I had mine replaced after a little night wheelin' Ididnt see a tree branch hanging out onto the trail and it went right threw the passanger window :shock: Now I have 4 Bright Offroad lights on the bumper so I can see

Back