jeep tj rear upper shock mount bolt head gone

luis

I have a 1997 tj and I went to tighten the rear shock mount bolt off and it busted off. I tried drilling it out but the drill bit isn't cutting... What should I do the shops are charging 110 just to get it out.. any other options?

I would get very small drill bit to get through the bolt, then step up drill bit sizes until you could get an ease out in there. If all else fails use a "Victor Wrench"... Lol

What kind of bit to you guys recomend I have easy outs and a tap set aswell

Since u were installing it if it broke there will be very little torque on it. Drill it out a bit and use an easy out and a bit of heat

Jester32 said:
Since u were installing it if it broke there will be very little torque on it. Drill it out a bit and use an easy out and a bit of heat

Well no I wasn't installing it. I was underneath and notice it was loose so I gave it a little turn no there was a lot of resistance so I was starting to back it out and the head just came off. It's not on there tight but I'm sure it will put up a good fight

Get those ones especially for metal, not the general purpose drill bits.

I was using a hardened steel bit. Us there anything that will work better than that one?

Make sure your drill bit is sharp, and step drill as was said in previous thread, use cutting oil when drilling.

So it turns out this bolt is a locking bolt. I have broken two extractors and still hasn't came out

Not realy sure how a TJ is set up, But the CJs and YJs are a pressed in and headed on the back side stud. No threads that i know of. If this is the case with a TJ then you'll have to drill it out to size and replace it with a bolt and a jam nut on both sides of the hanger.

It is likely that is hardened hardwear, if you can heat the hell out of it and drive it out with a BFH it should come out. If you need to drill then you may need a carbide bit which is pricey. Good luck rusty bolts can really suck! if you replce it use a hardened bolt or you may break it while driving.

eewwww, this is really starting to sound like it sucks. man, your just going to have to cut it flat and dril to the side a half inch or so to relocate the mount a little

superj said:
eewwww, this is really starting to sound like it sucks. man, your just going to have to cut it flat and dril to the side a half inch or so to relocate the mount a little

That's what I ended having to do. Cuz the only way I can cut the bolt off is by removing the body. So I used a locking nut and some lock tite. Took it out through some rough terrain and it stayed put so I'm happy with it

Back