Jeep Performance in the Snow

Kri2

Hey Guys,

Quick question: How do you all really feel about how a standard (no modifications) 4x4 Wrangler performs on snow covered roads?

I've never owned a Jeep. However, I'm moving from CA to Indiana....and I'm thinking of buying one. I would be storing my "summer" car in the winter...so the Jeep would be for winter driving primarily.

I thought actual Jeep owners would be the best folks to ask. ;)

Your feedback would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

I don't have the wrangler, I have a cherokee, but out in our wet drippy snow in Oregon it handles better than anything else I've driven before. Just remember that you can't totally rely on the vehicle to take care of you. 4 wheel drive will only get you so far, and if you're out of control it won't do much at all.

Otherwise I would totally go for it. Then you could hang out here with the cool crowd.

I have had 3 Wranglers. 2 of them lifted. The best performance in snow was my first, before it was lifted with skinny all-terrain stock size tires and a stock suspension. It was virtually unstoppable. I dorve to work in a blizzard, passing big trucks, SUV's, H2's and the like all pulled off the road for lack of ability to continue.

alot depends on your tires make sure you fit it with some nice snow/winter terrian rubbers if you plan on hitting the white stuff in your commute... my buddy made it in over a foot and half on the stock like 235's all terrians no probs

OK, I posted to this earlier, but my post mysteriously disappeared. I think I said something like, "just don't think that because you own a 4x4 that you are invincible....the SWB Wranglers will 360 in a heartbeat if you're not careful. And on the ice it's pucker up and pray no matter what you drive. But, IMHO, buy it, you'll be very happy with it's performance............just use your head. Detroit (or Japan or England or China, etc, etc) has no cure for stupid."....................or words to that affect.

Love my little Wrangler in the mountain snow,
mud

I have a stock '95 Wrangler on 235 all-terrains and didnt have much trouble in the snow. But like everyone else said, you need to be careful & use your head - you can still get into trouble with 4x4. Just be careful & smart & you should be OK. IMHO.

4wd will help you get going better, but will do nothing to help you stop or turn at speed on ice and snow. I've run both A/T's and M/T's in all conditions on my Jeep, and from my experience, the M/T's handled everything better from soft powder to slush to hard packed snow to ice. It's all about how you drive, not what you drive.

Siping Siping Siping. That's what makes a good snow tire. Smooth tread blocks like those on mudders will slide around like snot on a doorknob.

I agree with Twisted. If you are going to get a tire with big lugs they need to have siping!

Siping Siping Siping. That's what makes a good snow tire. Smooth tread blocks like those on mudders will slide around like snot on a doorknob.

I never had as much problem with sliding around on my mudders as I did with the A/T's (except when I wanted to have some fun, then I could slide'em all I wanted). A steady throttle and smart driving will keep you in good shape with whatever tire you run. However, when it comes to sheer ice, you'll probably be in better shape with A/T's aired down to about 10-12 psi. I aired mine down once during the ice storm a couple of years ago, and it helped a bit. Last year we had one day with some good ice, and I took the mudders out on it without airing down and got around just fine when I wanted to. No problems cornering, accelerating, or stopping that I didn't encounter when I had the A/T's. The main difference is the amount of weight distribution on the lugs of a mudder vs. A/T. With more lugs, there is less weight per contact point on an A/T, but more surface area on the ground (ice). If it's a hard frozen ice (a "dry" ice), the A/T will will be better. But, if it's "wet" ice, where it's still frozen hard but has a film of water on top, the mudders work better because there is less surface area to sit on top of the water, and more weight per contact point, which provides better traction.

I have a wrangler and a cherokee and while they both handle well in the snow the cherokee does better than the wrangler and also tends to be a little warmer.

on a 4x4 it's all about Tires and your attitude. Crappy Tires=Crappy Performance, Crappy Attitude= your butt in a ditch. Just have to remeber 4x4 works great for getting around, but stopping is no differant, Sipping a set of MT will work wonders on ICE and Snow.

i've had nothing but great times with my jeeps in the snow (2 cherokees)

My favorite is launching in the snow - you can really get on it good in the snow and it won't spin out - just grabs and goes!

Back