is this grand cherokee worth it

B.Jones

Hears kind of a long story. 4 years ago I bought a 96 grand cherokee limited edition quadratec 4wd. It had a salvage title when I bought it and it was a lowrider so it was never off road. Just wrecked and fixed. I put a 3.5 inch rubicon lift and cragar black rims and some off road tires. This jeep was loaded already with a sound system and tvs. I sold it almost 2 years ago for 4,500 bucks which was almost what I paid for it. I sold it to a then friend. He got into a drug habit and sold the tvs and ripped all the speakers out and the cd player. I had bent the frame on it hauling sod before I sold it but he knew that when he bought it. The bank repossed it the other day. Every few weeks my mom has to go to this bank to make sure everythings running smoothly and she mentioned I used to own the jeep to the man in charge of repossesions. They wanted me to come take a look at it because they thought it had really bad wiring problems due to him installing a security system. I went up there. And he hooked the battery back up and the security system went crazy. I knew what the problem was bc it was still the original alarm and I could fix it (but I told the bank it had an apparent wiring problem and would might need to be completely rewired). I then pointed out that he must have bent the frame because the rear bumper looked awful. He told me was glad to now all that was wrong and they were probably going to junk it. I offered to buy it and he said I could get it for around 500-800 bucks. It has the v8 in it and runs great. I know it wasn't good to shy away from the truth to him but I would like to have it back. Besides the frame( which I'm not worried about). I think it will only need 4 or 5 hundred bucks to get it back to where I had it. It was onkly missing a couple pieces. My question is do you think it's worth it and what could I sell it for? Sorry for the long post

That's a tough call. Kelly blue book says that in fair condition it's worth $4500. I don't think your car would make it to fair, plus the salvage title would cut the value in half probably

http://www.kbb.com/KBB/UsedCars/Pri...4128|23455|0|0|&Condition=Fair&QuizConditions=

I'd say that you won't get your money back from this car, but if you could make it a daily driver then you'd get the value back. Buy it if you plan on driving it and not selling it.

What are they going for in your area? Can you get a better one for the same money?

Drivetrain wise it's great. All it needs is the hose for the air intake. interior wise it has no speakers or cd player. The frame is bent in the back. but it drives great. I bent the frame years ago. The leather and everything inside looks good besides a little tear on the driver door panel. I would probably use it as a daily driver. Exterior wise it could use a repaint on the front and back bumpers (which I can do). The bank said they were gonna junk it do to the frame and the electrical( which there is no electrical problems besides no cd player and speakers). 500 to 800 bucks for a 4wd grand cherokee that runs great and only needs minor work minus the frame seems like not a bad price.

I think it might be worth it. It has a 3.5 inch rubicon lift on there that cost around 3 grand. And the v8 only has 135000 miles on it. And the leather is still in good shape. It just needs a new complete stereo and I have to sand down the bumpers and paint them.

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to ya'll. I bought the jeep for 500$. My mechanic and I are realigning the frame and welding some steel braces to fix it( it's broken at the very back of the frame). The transmission lines have to be replaced due to leaking. I ordered an air intake box and hose today for 35$. So for about 215$ I will have this thing running good. I drove it today and the v8 still has a lot of power. It has 146,000 miles. But like I said the interior is looking great besides no stereo or speakers. I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow when I start working on it. The only thing I need is a front drive shaft. I found a used one for 265$ but I'm gonna look for a better deal.

Back