Is the Weber 32/36 DGEV the best.

KletusJeeps

Looking at what Carb to put on my Jeep and everywhere I go this carb just keeps poping up....Does anyone have it? Is it any good? Do you like it? Are there any other Carb Jeepers out there who are running something they like?

Let me know,

kletus

I've heard and seen much better results with the Motorcraft 2150. It's cheaper and runs better, especially on inclines. Many jeepers here have them.

I would have to agree with Bounty_hunter. I have the Motorcraft 2150 carb. with the 1.08 venturi size and its the best thing I ever did to my jeep. This size motorcraft is a 400 CFM carb. The weber is only a 300 and even the weber 38 is only a 350 cfm I believe. It is also much cheaper I got mine for $200 from here... http://www.carbcareusa.com/

there is also a holly carb whiuch is a much cheaper option to the weber. Here in canada the weber is 650 were the holly is 350..

I have the weber and i love it, however i have no basis of comparison other than the stock carter piece of crap.

The only complaint i have about the weber is the documentation. You really have to experement alot to get your vacuum lines installed right, but once you do have it hooked up right its amazing.

I think we could REALLY settle this "which carb is best" argument if we could get some dynos generated for the carter, weber, holley, and motocraft carbs on a 258.
Anybody have access to a dyno shop?

Takes more than a dyno to compare, like how easy is it to tune; how well it runs at steep angles, price v. performance, etc.

Clifford favors Weber because that's what they sell :shock:

Aggreed, but i still think that dyno is a good place to start when arguing one over the other... Nobody's really put all the performance stats in one place for these things.

Actually, if anybody's gonna put together a fact sheet on these carbs, they should include the dynos, fuel efficency, steep incline performance, cold start performance, ease of install/ease of tuning, and price.

I also woudnt mind seeing the performance stats on EFI and MPI vs the various carbs.

MOtorcraft for me! If mine worked any better I could not stand it. I have had here on some very steep inclines both front and back and on her sides and she keeps on running like a champ.

I am not going to say anything bad about the webber due to the fact I have not owned on. However I did a great amount of research prior to buying the Motorcraft. If you get a webber go with the 32/32 not the 32/36. From all I read the larger preformance modle seems to be more problemsome than the closer to stock CFM 32/32.

For the money and and trouble I have heard about the webber is not for me. Just do a search here on jeepz on webber and see how many folks have had a lot of trouble getting the webber zeroed in and running proper. The do a Motorcraft and see how much problem you hear about. The search is one of the greatest assets to jeepz.com tug

Tug-n-pull said:
If you get a webber go with the 32/32 not the 32/36. From all I read the larger preformance modle seems to be more problemsome than the closer to stock CFM 23/23.

sorry, tug... minor clarification on that one:
the 32/36 DGEV(progressive carb)is the more reliable one of the two. I think you're talking about the 38/38 DGES (syncronous carb)

Anyways, i know what you meant, so its all good :D

Oh, BTW... Another thing that bugs me about my weber is that the air filter is held together with spring clamps instead of with a wing-nut.
Its just a little more bothersome to get into when i have to take the filter off or clean the carb for any reason (like the other day when it was so cold that i had ice siezing the electric choke)

I would again have to agree with Tug. From what I have heard The Motorcraft is much easier to tune and get running. When I hoocked mine up I literally botled it on and it fired right up. I had no vaccum lines hooked up, the ports were still plugged. The only thing I had to adjust was to tweek the idle speed. I haven't touched it since except to attach the proper vacuum lines. I also have had no problem in the cold whether we have had here in PA as or late. The other night is was 5 degrees out and my jeep had sat for 2 days and she started right up. I also have the T176 four speed transmission and unless it is a really steep hill I don't have to downshift. I can't say anything about the Webber but how much better could it possibly be. Is it work twice the price to only maybe be better? That is something for you to decide. One other Thing if you need emmission test the Webber is comsidered a performance Carb and it not allowed to be used in PA atleast. However the Motorcraft is a stock carb. It was used on the Pinto??? What more can I say.

Broken Down

Memory is the frist thing to go or was it hair or eye sight or hearing any way I am just getting old and can not remember my numbers very well. heheehe So Yea what he said! tug

sorry, tug... minor clarification on that one:
the 32/36 DGEV (progressive carb)is the more reliable one of the two. I think you're talking about the 38/38 DGES (syncronous carb)
:wink: :wink: :wink:

I'm in the market for a new carb in the near future. I have a weber on my trail rig and love it, but was interested in the motorcraft as a cheaper alternative. I'm hesitant to buy the motorcraft as it requires some linkage modifications to work (from what I've read anyway) and the price is cheap if you can find a good used one, but new ones are close to the price of a weber. I've been very happy with my weber, but say I go buy a new motorcraft (I would have no idea how to rebuild a used one), the adapter plate, and then modify the linkage. Is it worth all that to avoid paying $30 more for a new weber. I'm happy with my weber (don't like the air cleaner clips either), but would get a motorcraft if I could find one cheap and had someone to SHOW me how to do the mods required to make it work. I've read the posts about modding the linkage, but I don't know anything about which part is what on a carb, so doesn't help me much.....

Well, I thought I would just jump into the foray and offer my $0.02. Being a newbie to CJ's (I had a '72 Waggy), and a complete newbie to auto repair, I must say the Weber 38 went right on and was very easy for me to adjust. I had gone through all the vacuum hoses when I first bought the Jeep so maybe that helped with the new routing of the hoses. As for taking it up steep inclines I haven't gotten there yet, but will do so soon. Everybody I have talked to said go with the 38. There is a formula floating around somewhere that helps you gauge the cfm's required. The 38 was very close to that number as I recall. Sorry, but I can't remember the specifics. I don't have any knowledge about the Motorcraft, so I can't comment on it except if I had known about it I would have looked into it for sure to try to at least save some money! One other thing, there is an adaptor that will allow you to mount your stock air cleaner on the Weber. I will probably end up getting it before the next time my registration is up and I have to smog my Jeep. With a properly timed ignition and a good adjustment of my carb it is running damn fine to me!

Finally, vinyl for myself!

alright well that is all good information on carbs now what about an intake manifold? is there really any difference? Should I just any old intake manifold?

Kletus

Brake lines

Probably your Best bet would be to get a Clifford Intake if they make one. I know this is how is works for a 258 so I will assume if they make one it will work for yours as well. Then you need to Get a two barrel Adapter that they make for thier Intakes. Clifford sells those two, just make sure you get the one for the Larger bolt pattern 2 barrel. The 258 intake is a small 2 barrel and the Motorcraft is the wide two barrel. I don't know it the Intake from a 258 would fit yours or not. I could send you a Picture of a 258 Manifold(the engine block side) this weekend if you think that might help.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could do that for me...
Also if you could measure gaping between ports, I don't think those have changed but not for sure. I have emailed clifford performance this evening and we will see what they have to say. I'll let you know.

Email those pics & measurements to

kletus@sbcglobal.net
I have dsl so feel free to take as many as you can send.

thanks again

KLETUS

I opted for the 400cfm weber on my 86 258. It is swweeeet. But to get the full effect you gotta do the exhaust!!

bksmith thanks for the pics on your 258 intake and all the only problem I am having is that my engine is a 4.0 out of a 2002 not a 4.2 so the poblem this gives me is will a 258 intake manifold line up and bolt into a 242 engine?

That my friends is the million dollar question. If the answer is yes then we have a simple conversion with a 258 intake if the answer is no then how in the world am I going to get an intake manifold for a 242?

if anyone has answers please let me know.

Back