Ideas for illuminated engine compartment

0okami.Digital

Lets see...

I want to illuminate my engine compartment when my hood is up. Im thinking a mercury/tilt switch and 4 strategically places bulbs...
Anyone done this before?
Any known products?

Mercury tilt switch?Kind of like whats in most home thermostats?If it is wont the light come on when you go up or down a hill.Just use a push button switch up near the hood safety latch.then wire in as many lights as you want.

I agree with a push switch that when hood opens it goes on sort of like the switches they use in door jambs in cars for interior lights or just add a marine type water proof toggle switch on the fire wall

Later 80's Chevy trucks had a cool engine compartment light that was on a "reel" It clipped in place, and when you needed light elsewhere, you flipped a switch, undone the latch, and pulled the "light base" to where ever you needed it. When done, you rolled it back up like a fishing reel. TO THE JUNK YARD!! I've actually been wanting to put one on myself for a while now.

Later 80's Chevy trucks had a cool engine compartment light that was on a "reel" It clipped in place, and when you needed light elsewhere, you flipped a switch, undone the latch, and pulled the "light base" to where ever you needed it. When done, you rolled it back up like a fishing reel. TO THE JUNK YARD!! I've actually been wanting to put one on myself for a while now.

My 280zx did that I think. Very useful.

You wouldnt happen to remember which model had this do you? I'd love to fetch something like this from my local salvage yard.

Quadratec has an underhood light kit for fairly cheap. It looks to be the same set up as what is on my '06 TJ. Has wring, lamp assemby and all necessary hardware.

My dad had one on his '89 Silverado. I'm sure there were others around those years with them.

Excellent list! I've learned more from this forum in about 2 days than I have at any other forum community.

My '90 XJ has an under-hood light on a retracting tether built in to the hood. The light itself has a magnetic base. I thought it was pretty cool, but it's not very bright and the spring that winds it is useless.

My '78 CJ-5 has the underhood lamp. I'm thinking that it might have been part of the Golden Eagle package, because the wiring to it is stock.

you can get a mercury switch at best buy for a couple dollars. Heck I got one you can have if you want to pay for shipping, but you best use a relay with it since the amperage on the light will most likelt be too much for the switch.

For under hood illumination here are my top picks

image-missing.png

discoball1-1.jpg

image-missing.png

LiteBeer15014-1.jpg

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

Early "90s Blazers(full size) had em too.

My 88 xj has a retractable one and I just took one off of my 94 suburban that has a crank to retract.

Back