ICE AND SNOW FOR A TJ?

RE: what size can I run?

judge09 said:
graewulf said:
Ritt said:
I think Wranglers really suck in snow & ice. A full size Jeep is MUCH better. Remember, the wrangler is only 2 wheel drive (one front & one rear) unless you have some kind of extra traction device. I also have a Grand, THAT Jeep is excellent. You never know what a Wrangler (short wheel base) will do under you. I had mine break loose when you run across a wind swept open area of the road. Nothing like an all wheel drive for snow & ice. For offroad and summer fun, I'll take the Wrangler anytime.

while there is some basis for your statement, it really depends on your driving habits. I've seen 2wd (1wd by your definition) vehicles go where all wheel drives got stuck.

What situation were you in where a 2wd vehicle out performed a 4wd vehicle in snowy and/or icy conditions. I dont understand this.

I'm talking 6" of fresh snow still falling... I had an 85 chevy G20 (1/2 ton) conversion van. I had to drive 50 miles in the stuff and saw several 4x4's sliding all over on the ramps and I didn't slide at all. Some people need to learn when to go easy on the skinny pedal and when to leave it in 1st gear (I did both on the ramps). I pulled a 4x4 up a small hill in snow/ice with the same van. Tires do make a big difference too. The tires most 4x4's have on them stock suck in the snow. Give me my Pirelli Scorpions any day....

My latest wheeling pics

i've also lived in new england my whole life. I've had an accord, a tj, and this will be the first winter with my xj. The accord with fwd and blizzaks was amazing in the snow(all the way up to 70 on the highway) however if our new hampshire winters threw more than 5" of snow, she was a no-go.

the tj was definately awesome in the snow, drove it 50 miles in a foot of snow one night doing a constant 40-50 with no problems. words of wisdom.... 2wheel (rwd) can be a bitch in the snow, touch the gas and the ass swings especially with mudders. If there is anything more than and inch or two, use good judgement and just put it in 4hi. Drive safe and know your conditions/limitations.

i am actually eager to see how the xj does in the snow....we shall see

and in response to all those comments about suv's being the only cars in the ditches during a snowstorm..... next time it's snowing like a bat outta hell and there is 6 inches on the road notice the percentages of suv's to cars on the road. CLEALY there will mostly be suv's on the side of the road bc they make up the majority of cars on the road in the snow in the first place.

The advantage of the short wheelbase on a Wrangler, be it a TJ or YJ, is not for driving on a snow covered highway. It will hold it's own, but the longer wheelbased Cherokee (or Grand) would be a more sure-footed ride in that scenario.

Don't get me wrong, I drove my old YJ through blizzards 50 miles to Washington DC to get to work. It never failed me, but I was mindful of what I had. I passed alot of abandoned 4WD's along the way.

I'm not trying to talk you out of the TJ by any means, if you get one you'll love it - snow or no snow. If you are seeking the better performer in that situation and space is an issue - look for a Cherokee. Like Ritt said, an AWD version would be even better.

RE: Choke question

I literally just pulled a lady out of her 4wd Toyota a minute ago. The road was unplowed, She didnt see the ditch, lost control of her truck and went right for the river. Her excuse....I didnt think I needed 4wd. If you have 4wd and the roads are white or look slick....just do it. She was two trees away from landing face first in the Erie Canal.

Back